DID AMERICANS PURCHASE THEIR COMMISSIONS?

BEAST

I am reading Bernard Cornwell's fictional series Sharpe's Rifles about the war between Great Britain and France. In the series much is made of the British practice of allowing their officers to purchase their commissions and promotions.

When I was researching the American Revolution and the War of 1812, I don't remember instances when the US military or state militias allowed the purchase of a commission/promotion. Maybe I am mistaken; does anyone have examples of this practice here?

I know that often for a state militia unit, the officer's were elected from the ranks or they were commissioned if they paid to raise the regiment, or for other political reasons, but I don't know of instances where they could directly buy a promotion.

I am aware that the British allowed the purchase of an officers commission but, I believe that ended by the mid-1880's. I cannot remember ever seeing anything about the American military ever allowing that. Of course, I'm sure if you knew the right political people and made a nice contribution to their campaign, it is possible that a commission could be "procured" for someone. This is just speculation and there are people here much more in the know than myself.

During the Civil War, if you raised a regiment and paid a good part of its expenses, you got to be the Colonel in command of it it. Not quite the same.

The practice of purchasing commisions ended with the Cardwell reforms, of which Wolseley was a big proponent, in 1871 (I think). The U.S. never had a similar system although what others have suggested is probable, and electing officers is no guarantee of quality. I enjoyed the Sharpe novels but please remember Cornwall has, for whatever reason, a strongly anti-British and anti-religious bias.

During the Civil War, Union soldiers could pay someone to serve in their place in order to escape the draft. Most immigrants couldn’t afford to buy their way out and were, in fact, prime candidates to serve as paid "substitutes." In 1863, anti-draft riots broke out in New York City, starting in the Irish ghettos. They soon became the most violent riots of American history. Troops were sent with orders to kill if necessary.

Thanks everyone for your replies! It is interesting to me that the reforms in the British Army didn't end until 1871. That's far longer than I thought the system would last.

Back on the U.S. however, I would have thought that if we did participate in the system, it would have occurred before or during the revolution as we were much more in-line with the traditions and tactics of the British forces. I would like to think that it was republicanism and the enlightenment that guided the founding fathers in the development of the our military system, but it was probably something less esoteric, maybe a tradition from the militia system.

After the war, the Continental Army was quickly given land certificates and disbanded in a reflection of the republican distrust of standing armies. State militias became the new nation's sole ground army, with the exception of a regiment to guard the Western Frontier and one battery of artillery guarding West Point’s arsenal. However, because of continuing conflict with Native Americans, it was soon realized that it was necessary to field a trained standing army. The Regular Army was at first very small, and after General St Clair’s defeat at the Battle of the Wabash, the Regular Army was reorganized as the Legion of the United States, which was established in 1791 and renamed the "United States Army" in 1796. The United States Army considers itself descended from the Continental Army, and dates it’s institutional inception from the origin of that armed force in 1775.