WWII 4 Panel Lt.'s Medic helmet

Austin_Militaria

Still not convinced. The Geneva non-combatant number has very thin paint. Guess I am getting cynical in my old age.

USMC-RECON0321

As far as I know, the Numbers on top are still un-searchable at this time, So hopefully no one is counting on that as a possible ID.

FYI:

I posted all the previous information so that this next picture would make more sense. Sometimes you'll see numbers on the top of a medic helmet that does not correspond to any soldiers serial number. This is because medics would often put the Geneva Convention ID Number on their helmets, as you can see on this 69th Division doctors helmet owned by USMF member: just-a-good-ole-boy. (Bugme)

post-63438-0-95541700-1490832665_thumb.jpg

Maybe Jkash has better photos than the photos they sent me.

Nope those were the photos you just beat me too it, I've been busy with work.

The whole helmet and liner have been repainted. You can see the brush strokes. I'm not really seeing chips in the green, but you can see chips in the crosses.

USMC-RECON0321

Looks alot better with the new pics....mike

I agree, the colors look much better in some of the pictures and others not so much again? An in hand inspection will be the key and hopefully some sort of ID can be found inside the shell. Many times pencil markings don't jump out at you, unless you're looking for them.

Well, who took the chance?

For $1500 I would have risked it. I liked the way the rank was done. But over $2k I fold.

Goodwill does get really insane prices for some stuff that you can get way cheaper on ebay.

I guess people like thinking they are helping a cause.

USMC-RECON0321

Well, who took the chance?

For $1500 I would have risked it. I liked the way the rank was done. But over $2k I fold.

Goodwill does get really insane prices for some stuff that you can get way cheaper on ebay.

I guess people like thinking they are helping a cause.

I've thought the same thing about the prices they get on many items and wondered why? I'm thinking un-informed collectors that are paying $180 for a $35 1980's steel pot, thinking it's WWII or the serious collectors on items like this who are paying a premium thinking these items are all fresh out of the woodwork and new to the collecting world.

Flyboy_trav

Someone had the classic "I'm all in" bidding technique at the end but if failed. Whoever won this helmet must have had a large high bid on it. I noticed the winner remained the same high bidder the entire time. It was at 971 or so with 30 seconds to go and jumped to almost 2900. Classic eBay move. Sometimes I really hate online bidding. If its a 7 day auction then its really a 1 minute auction with the remaining 6 days, 23 hours and 59 minutes to gather interest.

I think you nailed it - it's the illusion that it's veteran family direct. Somebody musta dropped granpappy's box of war stuff off at the Goodwill. And, it is a somewhat unorthodox outlet for militaria, so some probably assume it's less-hunted - meaning the prices will be better (?). Even if this helmet is right, I personally wouldn't have paid $3000.

I've thought the same thing about the prices they get on many items and wondered why? I'm thinking un-informed collectors that are paying $180 for a $35 1980's steel pot, thinking it's WWII or the serious collectors on items like this who are paying a premium thinking these items are all fresh out of the woodwork and new to the collecting world.

I did bid $1500 and some change.
I didn't have an extra $3K to risk or spend.
I really DO think it was a legit Medic helmet.
Here is a bit of info I did not realize until about a half hour before I bid.

The other day I emailed Goodwill for more photos.
I got the photos and then posted them as you can see.
BUT, I didn't read the email they sent me along with the photos until about a half hour before auctions end.
The girl said as follows:

Thank you for the email, I have attached some photos, and the number that is rub off on top of the helmet written inside the helmet too, its R234660. Please email for any further questions you may have.

My point is that if it was a fake helmet why would someone put the number INSIDE the helmet.

As for the guy who bought it, you are right in that he must have put in a really high bid from the beginning (via proxy bidding).
I looked at the history and every time someone would bid, his bid would be $1 more.
Who knows what his actual bid was. Could have been $5K for all we know.
He had faith from the beginning that it was authentic.

In response to:
Sometimes I really hate online bidding. If its a 7 day auction then its really a 1 minute auction with the remaining 6 days, 23 hours and 59 minutes to gather interest.

I don't get why you don't like it.
I hate when people bid early and often. All that it does is drive the price up. It makes absolutely no sense. Unless of course you do what the guy in this case did and bid a really high amount up front. BUT when you do that, you can be sure you will be paying TOP dollar for the item.

So with the R prefix, could it be an ASN for a hospital dietician, or would that need one more digit?

Im pretty sure the R number seen on top of medic helmets is a specific Geneva Convention number given to medics, not their actual ASN which would be different and like other soldiers numbers.....mike

Im pretty sure the R number seen on top of medic helmets is a specific Geneva Convention number given to medics, not their actual ASN which would be different and like other soldiers numbers.....mike

That definitely makes more sense, Mike. I don't have any medic ID cards to compare, so I couldn't remember if it was just a number or if it had a letter prefix.

P.S. just found an answer: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/90521-wwii-medic-helmet-markings-regulations/

insane prices = check written to the Salvation Army at Tax time!

Since the person is getting something in return and not writing a donation, I don't believe these purchases are tax deductible.

• 2 years later...
USMC-RECON0321

This helmet was from the 272nd Medical Co.

How do you know?

Yes, please do tell?? Kind of a worthless statement with no background of why you say this on a thread that's been sitting dormant for nearly 2 years?