Tan Son Nhut AB Vietnam Lucky Dragon Pass with Dog Tags

Manchu Warrior

Manchu Warrior

A few months ago I was at an auction and watched as two women got into a bidding war over a jewelry box. When the dust settled I approached the winning bidder and asked her if she was interested in the set of dog tags and the piece of paper that was in amongst the jewelry. She was not and sold these to me for $2.00. As you can see the pass is from 1964 and is for an airman that was stationed at Tan Son Nhut AB in Vietnam and lived off base. The dog tags are dated 1961 and I have a couple of questions. Where the religion would be on the dog tag it has U.C. of C., any ideas on what that stands for? And who were the Lucky Dragons? Thanks

post-1412-1224031930.jpg

"PPC" was Air Forcese in 1960s for "Personnel Processing Code"

So, I infer (doubtless wrongly) that Airman Kresh's PPC was "Lucky Dragon".

Manchu Warrior

PPC is that like the Army's MOS?

316th FS 324th FG

Or could it mean Personnel Processing Center?

The only other Lucky Dragon I have come across is supposedly for U2 operations out of Bien Hoa

PPC is that like the Army's MOS?

Not exactly... AFSC = MOS.

AFSC = Air Force Specialty Code, i.e. job title, like MOS.

But, PPC is a specialty limitation within an AFSC (or MOS in Army) ... maybe sorta like a mortar guy in an infantry platoon?

There was, in 1964, a USAF unit in Vietnam called "Lucky Dragon" - they flew U-2 recon missions. Maybe they were there in 1961 too?

So, taking the thing somewhat further, Airman Herman H. Kresh was probably ground crew (with an aircraft related AFSC of some kind) on a U-2 flying out of TSN. PPC in his case might have meant something classified since it wasn't stated in plain english.

I can tell from his serial number that he was enlisted, not an officer (therefore not a U-2 pilot).

But, there isn't anything more I can discern about his AFSC from the pass he was given. He could have been a camera loader, or something of that nature. Anyway, he was being given permission to live off-base, which was a kind of privilege for an enlisted guy.

He was kinda special, in some way I cannot know from what is there, just yet.

His SN was AF13678145... so, hopefully one of our guys here who has access to that vein will tighten up my generalizations.

Or could it mean Personnel Processing Center?

The only other Lucky Dragon I have come across is supposedly for U2 operations out of Bien Hoa

Coulda been that too...

Come to think about it, maybe Kresh was from Bien Hoa TDY at TSN, and getting that pass to have someplace to sleep?

Manchu Warrior

I have Goggled Lucky Dragon in Vietnam and in between all the thousands of dragons of every possible description that are made in Vietnam I found a little information. I found this on a webb site about the 4028th Strategic Reconnaissance Squadron,

The 4025th RS still used the "Black Knights" emblem from their previous role with the RB-57D although officially they were not supposed to.

Lucky Dragon later changed to Trojan Horse and then Giant Dragon for the U-2 operations with the DC-130/Ryan drone changing to Lightning Bug, Bumble Bug and Buffalo Hunter.8th Strategic Reconnaissance Squadron.

This was from 1964 and it was the only mention of "Lucky Dragon" I could find.

Thanks guys I appreciate the information! thumbsup.gif

Well, we're getting there... his dogs are dated 1961 as you said, so that was his year of enlistment and it is entirely possible that he would have been in VN a couple of years later. TSN was then, I believe, a C-123 Squadron mainly... so, from what you found out, he might as easily been assigned to a C-130 as a U-2. But, my hunch is that the 130s at Bien Hoa in 1963-64 were being used mostly as transportation for that Recon unit's people and stuff. That suggests he was in Saigon for a TDY... assuming my assumptions approach fact.

LUCKY DRAGON? A few of those guys and a few from MONKEY MOUNTAIN were like our mentors when I first came in...

Of course, I was SKIVVY NINE...

Good times. Good times.

Chris

There is a vet's recollection page that references Lucky Dragon at TSN. It can be found at: http://webpages.charter.net/cepenley/stories/Hill.html

Here is the excerpt"

"It was a small squadron at the time, about 23 people in all. Maj Hines was the Commander for Base Security and Law Enforcement. We had a Master Sergeant as the First Sergeant. I can not remember his name. Thirty-six years has a way of dulling the memory. Then there was also a TSgt Berwind and a clerk named Morgan. That was the total Administration.

We had three flights and rotated shifts. Three days of dayshift duty, 24 hours off, three days of swingshift duty, 24 hours off, three days of midnight duty and 24 hours off. That is how it went for 11 months and 22 days. We had 7 men on each flight and an A1C (E-4) was Top Dog for the shift.

The Air Police posts we had at that time were:

1. 2nd Air Division HQ.

2. Lucky Dragon HQ (Puff the Magic Dragon's)

3. Base Operations

4. Recon Aircraft area

5. A couple of C-47's named Puff. Only we did not know what their purpose were, they just kept loading ammunition and flying nights.

In July of 64, we started to obtain more and more TDY troops. First from Japan, then from Okinowa. We then had additional Air Police posts to man. Like the radar trailer and radio station."

Great information^

These "Lucky Dragons" are getting interestinger 'n interestinger... U-2s, C-130s & now Goonies.

Funny that there is so little, as yet, online about them.

Also, how common was it I wonder for a pass to state the nickname of a unit (e.g. Lucky Dragon) rather than its official name, and why?

LUCKY DRAGON? A few of those guys and a few from MONKEY MOUNTAIN were like our mentors when I first came in...

Of course, I was SKIVVY NINE...

Good times. Good times.

Chris

Chris,

Were these also the call signs?

• 12 years later...

Here is a photo from Clark AB 1964. Most are Recce Tech personnel from Offutt (544th Aerospace Reconnaissance Technical Wing). My Dad (front row, 6th from viewers left) was there to set up the Photo Interpretation operation in anticipation of needs the U-2s that would soon be operating from Bien Hoa. "Lucky Dragon" encompassed both the U-2 Flight Ops and the Recce Tech activities. The Base Commander at Clark reportedly had a cow when a SAC KC-135 full of personnel needing quarters and working space showed up unannounced on his Flight Line. He had no idea they were coming due to secrecy concerns. Y57

I seem to recall that the Recce Tech/Photo Processing activities eventually moved up to Tan Son Nhut. I don't remember the exact timeline or the details. I'm fairly sure the "PPC" on the pass would be "Photographic Processing Center". Y57