WWI 1st Army Air Service Aviator's Tunic

"As the mailing box was opened, revealing its contents...all at once, I could hear the whirl of the rotary engine, feel the wind in my face, taste the bitter-sweet aroma of exhaust, oil, and gun powder upon my teeth...and smell the fear of the German foe lingering heavy amongst the clouds ......it was a magnificent and terrible time."

I admit that my above statement is overly dramatic, but an occasion of this magnitude and significance calls for a bit of nostalgic thought. For me, this is the realization of a dream I have had since I was a small boy. Throughout the years, I have spent countless hours memorizing details in photos of early aviators, watching every movie and reading everything related to these brave souls; all the while wishing that I could have been there. Through all of this, my admiration, respect, and my longing to connect with a time I was never a part of propelled me into a mindset of acquiring a WWI aviator wing one day - no matter how long I had to wait. Twenty years later, I have completed my journey to find the pinnacle of WWI collecting. Never in my wildest dreams, did I ever once think that not only would I have a real wing, but that it would be a French made example sewn to the tunic of a 1st Army aviator with the ribbon of the Croix de Guerre proudly affixed under the wing - unbelievable. This acquisition isn't so much about the material, bullion, and buttons, no, it is about holding a tangible piece of history that embodies everything I respect, admire, honor...and yes dream about.

Since I received the tunic only hours ago, I of course have not had time to properly photograph or display this fabulous and historic piece of history. I will post detailed photographs over the next few days, and I hope you all enjoy seeing them as much as I will enjoy sharing with you all. There are many individuals here who I call "friend" who helped me immensely with the guidance, knowledge, and advice that one needs to make a purchase of this significance and size. A few of them are Chris Norman, Bob Gee, Dennis Jackson, John Cooper, Patrick Frost, Scott Kraska (from whom I obtained the tunic)...and my dear friend Scott Stevens for his convincing argument that it was "OK to have it". Thank you all for your kindness in the sharing of your advice and experience, as without your help, I definitely would have been "flying blind" on this purchase. Thank you for indulging me this time to permanently record on my favorite forum, what will surely prove to be one of the finest days of my entire life...yes, this really does mean that much to me.

Photos to follow soon.....

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool Dude!!!! I know you have wanted one of these for a long time. I personally have never found one!

Kurt

!!!! WANTED !!!!

WWII Prisoner of War items : Medals, Mail, Diaries, Photos, Documents, Scrapbooks + More

WWII Naval Aviation Groupings : Medals, Documents, Scrapbooks, Photos, Flight Logs, Flight Jackets + More

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Your enthusiasm comes through with every word.

I am very happy for you mate and look forward to seeing the pictures. thumbsup.gif

Written contributor to French Militaria Magazine, UK World War II Re-enactors Magazine &The Karkee Web Research Team.

Remembering the service of:
9095 Pte Alfred Fredrick NEWLAND, 7th Field Ambulance, 2 Division, AIF. WIA 16/11/16 France.
436 Private Albert McCANN, B Company 8th Battalion AIF. Enlisted 26/8/14. Killed in Action 17/6/15 Gallipoli.
VX24056 Gunner George Edward McCANN, 2/3 Composite Anti Aircraft Regiment. Enlisted 7/6/40. Discharged 3/8/44. Served in Australia and New Guinea.

donation2016.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2008.gif

More than happy to help you out, it was fun! However, you start out this thread like a hopeless romantic, suck us all in and then we have to wait for pictures?!?! Steve, you have a cruel streak running through you! disgust.gif:rolleyes:

Scott

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

More than happy to help you out, it was fun! However, you start out this thread like a hopeless romantic, suck us all in and then we have to wait for pictures?!?! Steve, you have a cruel streak running through you! disgust.gif:rolleyes:

Scott

It is all about maintaining a balance my friend. Without cruelty, there is no reason for the existence of kindness.... ^_^

Congrads on a gorgeous uniform! Well done! :)

-Ski

In Memory Of......
Pte Harold Griffiths, 1805, 1/6th Manchester Regt, KIA June 4th, 1915 in Gallipoli
Cpl Isaac Judges, 40494, 6th East Yorkshire Regt, KIA October 3rd, 1917 in Ypres
May they rest in peace.....

MSgt - USAF Retired

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2017.gif