Best HGU helmet book to own?

horridohutch

horridohutch

Thinking of buying this book to research the squadron I want to replicate on my recently posted HGU-33 restoration. I am specifically hoping to find some good pictures of VX-5 helmets from the mid 1980s. The one book I have has a tiny and one sided view of one... hoping for some front, side and back shots. I may just do a different squadron... my goal is accuracy.

post-133566-0-14675000-1490545708.jpg

BlueBookGuy

Given what is the job you expect being made easier by a book, this one is far indeed from what you need.

A good book considering it's 21 years-old and, virtually, the very first publication to cover the subject of jet age headgear, even though not in-depht (for a number of reasons) and not without its share of faults.

Afterwards the Internet came in help in a variety of ways, just the images available here and there in so many sites are a huge help for multiple requests fron collectors/enthusiasts. But Breuninger's paper book is firstly, a good (not the optimum) reference for the collector if that isn't too much demanding.

horridohutch

Mr Blue Book, I am hoping to find pictures of the graphics applied to the outside of a helmet from VX-5, it seems that it should be full of pictures I hope. If I cannot find good photos of that squadron then I was thinking of using another squadron. As for the construction of the helmet I have a friend who has schooled me on all that I need to build a period correct helmet down to the aircraft flown. My experience as a US Navy Aircrewman and Rescue Swimmer has also led to some experience in the subject. Maybe I am just lazy and am hoping for some beautiful pictures to appear. I have surfed the net and saw hundreds of photos of helmets, which is good, except they are not 360 degree views. Again I am looking for accuracy, to me it is all about the the details. And large detailed photos. I have already spent a tidy sum gathering the correct parts and would hate to screw it up by doing an incorrect rendition.

northcoastaero

I agree that this book is very basic and does not cover all of the helmet types used. Also, there are

some errors. No USN/USMC helmets with VX-5 squadron markings inside.

BlueBookGuy

If remember correctly, maybe not more than 2-3 pages are devoted to the HGU-33/P and the same to some more helmets that are in Navy/USMC units, maybe two-three pics for each helmet are worthy for accuracy if one isn't too demanding for good photo's dimensions.

Too many pics almost wasted in tiny details but also tiny images as well, too blanc areas that could have been better exploited with fewer (but well larger) photos showing accurately many important things. No VX-5 helmets though (virtually sure).

That's my honest opinion, but anyway I recall being happy when it came out in summer 1996 'cause it was a good help and reference - this however, more for a general review of helmets' chronology than for a true collector's point of view.

Franco.