Nat. Museum of the Marine Corps 2017

TLeo

Has anyone heard of when the new exhibits that are planned to be open in 2017 will actually be open? The web site just shows that the theater, F/A-18 and M60 tank exhibits open this year. I assume since there are no details it will be a few more months but just wondered if anyone had heard details.

Jarhead8007

TLeo,

All is still a work in progress. We just put the rotor blades on the UH-34 on Saturday, 1 Apr.

Based on the latest plan, this is the rough schedule (but all dates subject to change whenever reality intrudes):

• Mid-April 2017: Tun Tavern expansion and two new restrooms open! (depends on Fire Marshall inspection and custodial contract)
  • June-July 2017: Combat Art Gallery (100+ original artworks post-Vietnam, for the most part)
  • June-July 2017: 369 seat giant screen theater with exclusive 40 minute USMC-themed movie.
  • Nov 2017: Children's activity area, 2 classrooms, and school lunch room
  • Nov 2018: Post-Vietnam Galleries (1976-present)
  • 2020 and 2021: Hall of Valor (MoH & other medals for heroism), Marines in Sports Gallery, Interwar Years (1919-1940)

For current updates, check: http://www.usmcmuseum.com/museum-final-phase.html

You can watch a timelapse of the install of the M60 tank and the assembly and install of the F/A18 Hornet at that same page.

• 8 months later...

Having past the museum on various trips to the US in the nineties, I finally stopped there in 2014.

Regretted I had never visited earlier. What a collection on Marine history, friendly staff and an occasion to shake hands a WW2 vet of the 5th division.

Great visit.

Guy