Original Vietnam corpsman graffiti helmet ! The real deal

ArchangelDM

ArchangelDM

Thats actually a helmet that talks, the personal diary / log book shows where it's been, it doesnt get any better than that. B)

I Agree Bolo

It's the life history of it

• 1 month later...
ArchangelDM

Also would like to add

Richard passed in 2012 and not 2014 as previously stated. New emails with his wife are now revealing even more info on his career and his time in Vietnam. 94 new photos and maybe some of his combat fatigues.

Exciting stuff

Salvage Sailor

Super cool shots , a real insight into it all

Ontos and Duster, one of my old partners was an USMC Ontos crewman

Salvage Sailor

This photo really packs a punch for me , it's the expression on his face

This is a landing operation in Vietnam and the details may be in his journal. The landing craft are from the USS MERRICK (AKA-97) "MK" and USS BAYFIELD (APA-33) "BF"

AKA 77 USS MERRICK 001.jpg

APA 33 USS BAYFIELD 001.jpg

ArchangelDM

This is a landing operation in Vietnam and the details may be in his journal. The landing craft are from the USS MERRICK (AKA-97) "MK" and USS BAYFIELD (APA-33) "BF"

He has some

Markings and names in his diary which I'm not sure what they mean. I will post them and hopefully someone can help

Thanks for the post

D.C.

• 2 weeks later...
ArchangelDM

Well what a surprise when another box arrived in the post , I've been in contact with the wife for some months now and I now am in possession of the last of Richards Military items , and I'm honoured.

His wife was kind enough to send me his medals , his medical carry case which he carried throughout his tour in Vietnam , his dress shirts and trousers , his navy whites , Usmc hats and the newspaper clipping of him receiving the Purple Heart I have.

Speechless I really am , what a lovely lady his wife is , I just really wish I could have met Richard.

So I now ask for your help as medal displays are not my usual.

How shall I display his medals , is there a certain arrangement thy should be In.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm putting it all In a custom made frame with his photos so it all can be displayed.

Kind regards

Dean

post-8861-0-46213800-1501528998_thumb.jpg

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Yes, and it changes over the years, so make sure to get a 1960s list. I'd ask in the medals section.

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Bringing this one back up, as my collection has shifted fully to WW2 USMC the Metsker grouping has gone to a very loving home where it is now fully on display which it deserves.

The new caretaker will update the thread with new pics of the display which Im sure you will all enjoy.

- Dean

• 3 weeks later...

New pics from the new caretaker of this epic grouping

He has asked I put up the new photos as he is now displaying them

Once again enjoy

Yours

Dean

post-8861-0-50453300-1543775567.jpeg

post-8861-0-77600300-1543775573.jpeg

post-8861-0-35954400-1543775580.jpeg

Dean,

Thank's for the opportunity to be the next caretaker for this grouping. Reading the diary was very humbling, the grouping will form part of my collection for many years to come.

Thanks again

Rich