Original Vietnam corpsman graffiti helmet ! The real deal

ArchangelDM

ArchangelDM

Thought I would add the info on the symbols Richard put on in Vietnam. Larry pointed this out which is so neat.

Thanks Larry for the info on the graffiti

post-8861-0-17317000-1491136313_thumb.jpg

ArchangelDM

Great looking helmet. Congratulations! You got it from eBay?

Hey Andrei

Unbelievably yes , shows you there is still great helmets out there.

What i can't believe is that we have all this history with it and know it was actually in Vietnam. The wife has been so helpful and I have pages from his diary now as well

Thankyou for your kind words

ArchangelDM

Damn... I happy for you and I will start kicking myself for having overlooked this gem!

Thanks Andrei

I think the title was old helmet with cover , both in rough condition.

Hope your enjoying your new piece in your collection ;-)

The "M 3/9" on the lower edge of the helmet cover indicates that he was assigned to "Mike Company, 3rd Battalion / 9th Marines.

3/9 was the first battalion sized ground combat unit deployed to Vietnam. The battalion landed at Red Beach, Republic of Vietnam on 8 March 1965. The unit was comprised of 6 companies to include:

Headquarters and Service Company
Weapons Company
India Company
Kilo Company
Lima Company
Mike Company

ArchangelDM

Super nice find Dean! Helmets like this one are very hard to come by these days.

Pat

Thankyou Pat

Thats very kind of you and i totally agree with you.

ArchangelDM

Ok so a fantastic update !

The family has kindly decided to let me have his personal diary that was written throughout his tour and his Purple Heart.

Along with that 260 photos of his tour and written information about the man himself.

When it all arrives I will be making a nice presentation for it all and will provide some amazing photos of his time in the field.

Man I feel so lucky , all this history

ArchangelDM

This is part of his diary , the original is on its way. This is the day he encountered the enemy and received wounds to his leg.

post-8861-0-95981900-1491492522.jpg

ArchangelDM

That's a lot cooler than my diary

It's very very detailed. The day in the life of a corpsman in Vietnam , can't wait to read it all

Thanks Justin

ArchangelDM

Excellent! You'll have to share more with us when you get it!

Thanks Cap

I got some amazing images he took on his tour , I have the blessing of the family to share them

post-8861-0-78901000-1491502554_thumb.jpg

post-8861-0-52201200-1491502564_thumb.jpg

ArchangelDM

Incredible... Probably one of the most documented Marine helmet of the VN war.

Thanks Andrei

To have all this from his wife is a real rarity , she is such a lovely lady.

I'll be making a nice frame for the Purple Heart and the diary with a pic of Richard

USMC-RECON0321

Amazing is an understatement. Very nice. If they are just "Giving" you this I would sure send them a nice gift certificate to a large fancy dinner or something to show your appreciation. I'm sure they're happy to know its going to a good home.

Congrats

Troy

ArchangelDM

Amazing is an understatement. Very nice. If they are just "Giving" you this I would sure send them a nice gift certificate to a large fancy dinner or something to show your appreciation. I'm sure they're happy to know its going to a good home.

Congrats

Troy

Hey Troy

The wife has been amazing ,

She remembers everything about his tour and the horrors he faced in the line of duty out there. I have other pics but some are quite gruesome , he took photos of what he faced in the field as a corpsman.

Apparently his first year in nam in the field took quite a toll on him as I'm sure it did many young men who gave there lives to join.

Richard also joined the USMC and was not drafted , his wife wrote this

" .You know he volunteered to join the Navy. He was not drafted into service. He also volunteered to go to Vietnam.He wanted to follow in his father's and uncle's footsteps ,all three served in WWII.The comments he made on the helmet such as heal thyself and end the war, drop the bomb, sound so much like him as he ended his tour of duty there.I am not surprised given all he went through and what he saw that he used his helmet to express his feelings.A kind of graffiti. I don't think any officers would have said a thing given his rank and length of service in the war zone as well as all they had been through too.Our anniversery is April 6. We met just after he was back in the U.S. to finish his tour of duty. We married in 1968. You probably don't need all the info I have given you,but he was very proud of his service "

I have lots of emails between me and the wife and I will be keeping in touch.

I have also given her the link to this page so she can see what wonderful threads we have on such great people that served there country bravely and proudly.