71st Regiment Infantry New York Volunteers Medal

jmar

Hello gang!

I was wondering if these medal can be traced when numbered. I have the books and excel spreadsheets on the NY Conspicuous and Long Service medals, but couldn't find any reference on these. Any help would be most appreciated!

Thank you!

Joe

post-48324-0-54661400-1490304930_thumb.jpg

Nice medal Joe! I've always liked the NY regiment awards. I know that the 7th regiment crosses are highly researchable by name and number, but I'm not too sure about the 71st. Maybe the library of congress has a pdf of the regiment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the reply MM!

I hope you're doing well. I don't own this but medal was considering it. The seller has a mish-mash of medals that are hard to attribute. He sold an awesome Society of Santiago medal that was named to a Capt. Spotts (then Sgt) and also now has up for sale Spott's War with Spain medal (which I IDed for him recently). I bought a Mexican Service medal from him last week to a Lt. Casey. BOTH men were in the NYNG 71st Infantry Division. If I could find out it was Casey's I would buy it, but don't want it if it belonged to Spotts (since it's a broken group). NYNG kept pretty good records and I was hoping someone out there would have some info, but so far it doesn't seem so. I'll see what I can find from the LoC, hopefully I can find out if it goes with Casey or it goes with the Spotts group.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply, it is much appreciated!

Joe

• 4 years later...

Can you provide the number of the Mexican Service medal you purchased.  I may have some of Casey's medals

The 71st NY Infantry Regiment Long and Faithful Service Medals are untraceable by themselves. Although they are numbered, they were issued unnamed and I've never seen a roll which correlated names with medal numbers. If the medal is part of a group which includes traceable medals (most frequently MBSMs, Conspicuous Service Crosses or NY State L&FS medals), attribution is possible since published rolls for those medals exist. This one is the basic/first award for 10-years service. Subsequent awards for service at five-year intervals merited an additional bar. You mentioned 7th NY Inf L&FS medals. They also are numbered but are attributable because, although there are no rolls, they were always issued named.