Volcano cup M-450 with painted goggles

VenitHora

Here is another one of my flying helmet and goggle sets. What is interesting is the goggle frames have been personalized by being painted white. The lenses are amber color so it might have been used for night flying? I hope you enjoy it.

post-8296-0-87486800-1490257828.png

Very nice helmet Jon!

I like the customed goggle, I saw also a example with red paited cushion in the past.

Amber lenses are standard for foogy flying day.

Before night flying pilots or aircrew used a red lenses goggle for improve his eyesigh in darkness...

Cheers,

Jerry

Nice set up.

Intresting to see the painted frames.

Makes me wonder if they pilot did this to reduce glare or just to keep the frames from rusting from the salt air?

I think more to express their individuality, rather than for any practical reason.

Very nice.Looks like an added piece of leather under the nose bridge openening?

Does anyone make a good quality face cushion for the goggles like Ban aire use to sell?

pararaftanr2

Doyler,

Yes, it's a piece of chamois that was glued to the pad and also painted white. In theory, it made for better integration with the oxygen mask and I guess would keep the sun off your nose when wearing the goggles without the a mask in place. See below.

A company called Icon Goggles makes replacement pads. They aren't cheep (about $100), and are made from silicone rubber to keep them from deteriorating, but are one current option: https://icon-goggles.com/. Another is jgaviation on ebay (Garcia Aviation) who sells his own and / or the ones from Icon at $95.

VenitHora,

Thanks. You have a great pair of goggles and a great looking helmet there yourself.

post-9787-0-04818800-1490331969.jpg

• 5 months later...