Rimless eagle snap

Lawguns

So I have been learning about mills belts this week. I keep seeing the title of items with a rimless eagle snap.

Can someone tell me he difference in the snaps. I have found 2 different eagle snaps. One with a clean round inside with a date and name on it and one that looks more like a pop rivet or something g with 8 points folded down over the hole in the canvas. Once I figure out how to post pictures on my phone I will post he ones I found.

I am trying to figure out which is which.

A study of photos will, I think, make the difference clear to you, but here's the difference between the two snap styles. When you look at the snap from the front or exterior, the rimless eagle snap will be dome shaped and the only raised embossing will be the eagle symbol. The rimmed snap will have a ring or raised circle around the edge of the snap which encircles the eagle symbol.

If I recall correctly, the 8 pointed (or whatever the number might be) star tab method of attachment was the earlier style that gave way to the more durable rivet style for securing the snap.

Are you referring to the outer part of the snap cover itself? If so, maybe these 2 photos will help:post-2137-0-45512800-1490265871_thumb.jpgpost-2137-0-39428900-1490266359_thumb.jpg

The lower photo is a not so clear shot of a "rimmed" eagle snap. Notice the raised, rim around the outer edge. The top photo is a "rimless" snap without the raised edge or rim. The "rimless" snap preceded the "rimmed" by several years in the 1900-1916 period and can be used to roughly date a piece of equipment when no date is obvious. Given two seemingly identical items, the one with rimless snaps is almost always from a somewhat earlier time period. Hope this helps.

Thanks, that clears up that question for me. I have apx 20 Mills or maybe Russell web belts I am trying to identify and get listed on eBay.

Is this a better section to post pictures of the web gear from this time frame. My goal s to ID it and figure out general values. Or would the field gear section be better?

Is this a better section to post pictures of the web gear from this time frame. My goal s to ID it and figure out general values. Or would the field gear section be better?

This area or the Craig Pickrall Field and Personal Gear Section are both correct as far as I know. I would say that a wider group of members probably look at the Craig Pickrall Section since it covers most any time period of US militaria. I've collected a fair amount of Pre-WW1 and WW1 belts and web gear for over 25yrs. so feel free to PM me if I can help with any questions you might have, or even better, post them up here in whatever area is appropriate and let everyone help out. Here's a couple of photos of some of my belt-gear collection.post-2137-0-00381900-1490361518.jpgpost-2137-0-84506300-1490361093.jpg

Thanks, that clears up that question for me. I have apx 20 Mills or maybe Russell web belts I am trying to identify and get listed on eBay.

Why not list them on here first? What better place to reach the collector market than right here? If you're not sure of what you have or what it's worth, check the "Unknown-Can You Identify" and the "What's It Worth?" sections of the forum. This is where the collectors are, so why go elsewhere? Just trying to help.

Steve

Why not list them on here first? What better place to reach the collector market than right here? If you're not sure of what you have or what it's worth, check the "Unknown-Can You Identify" and the "What's It Worth?" sections of the forum. This is where the collectors are, so why go elsewhere? Just trying to help.

Steve

I am an upfront person so I will answer bluntly and try not to offend. I don't have any problem with listing items here. My problem is I don't know what he majority of my fathers collection is nor do I know the value. While I am ok not selling everything for top dollar, it was my fathers wish that I sell his collection and split he money with my sister. My fear is that if I list and item on a forum and don't know the value then I might accidentally list something for $100 that is worth $1000. If I send it to auction or eBay and start the listing to low, the market should drive the price to a fair value for everyone. I have already tried talking to a few local collectors to value some items. Some have been very helpful but others are just trying to find the item that I have under priced and buy it.

Post them here for an honest opinion, lots of great folks here that are happy to help. I would suggest checking out the Craig Pickrall section first for a basic education before you begin. Read the posts and discussions as with anything everyone does not agree on every thing others say but this is how we learn. Please PM if you have specific question we are all happy to talk about this stuff.

Bob

I guess I should also add that I travel for gun shows. So once I am comfortable with pricing, I will take stuff to the shows and use it to fill the tables when I sell my normal stuff.

I will be in Tulsa next weekend and might try to take some stuff there if I get the time to sort more stuff.

Post them here for an honest opinion, lots of great folks here that are happy to help. I would suggest checking out the Craig Pickrall section first for a basic education before you begin. Read the posts and discussions as with anything everyone does not agree on every thing others say but this is how we learn. Please PM if you have specific question we are all happy to talk about this stuff.

Bob

Thanks, I was just looking at the what's this wor section. I did it know that was here. I am sure I will be burning that up. Now I just need to find a forum for all the other countries stuff.

Here are some of the belts I found. I will try to get some better pictures and figure out what they are worth

post-167020-0-20288900-1490633083_thumb.jpg

post-167020-0-24765500-1490633093_thumb.jpg