What do you think guys?

Spy vs Spy

This is the area that I was thinking about. Not so rounded on the one on Ebay and the old add?

Is it just me or? think.gif

Would be glad to hear your opinons.

Regards,, Martin

post-2634-1223994116.jpg

post-2634-1223994138.jpg

post-2634-1223994154.jpg

thebladeslinger

I haven't handled nearly enough SOGs to give an opinion, but I am surprised that there isn't at least one expert here on the forum willing to speak up. If no one comes forward in a few days you may want to ask John Gibson his opinion. If I'm not mistaken he has handled a lot of SOGs over the years.

brandon_rss18

The sheath looks to new to me, your right it does look a lot like the one in the ad, but I am NOT an expert at all in edged weapons, that is just my opinion.

Martin,

I say fake.Appears to be like the ones I remember being made in India and sold a few years ago.They always have a poor fit on the grip and cap.Blade is a bit different as you point out.I believe the snap on the strap will not have the markings on the inside either.Note also the lack of what I call a hollow grind to the lower portion of the blade.The one from ebay appears formed or stamped in my opinion.Also lack of black or white spacers not a good sign for me.

I remember K&S Books out of Texas sold them at one time too.Im not an expert but I would stay away from this one.

RON

Hi guys.

Thanks for your answers thumbsup.gif . I don´t belive this SOG to be original to the Vietnam war.

When I asked the seller for more photos he posted 4 ones and now another 6 photos. Im now convinced its fake.

I really don´t hope anyone goes for this one thumbdown.gif

Best regards,, Martin

I'm with doyler on this one. Not comfortable with this piece. I feel like him, that this is one of the reproductions imported from India. I'm certainly not an expert but the tip offs for me are:

- Poor fit to pommel and crossguard (loose also)

- Very poor fit where blade ricasso meets pommel

- Overall crude leather washer grip with indistinct finger grooves

- Lack of spacers

- Blade will have thick blunt cutting edge especially at upper swept false edge

- Thin plum type finish to blade

- Sheath is pretty good quality

- Button snaps are bright metal (without paint)

- Snap will not have internal maker's stamp

- Weakly impressed lines in scabbard leather

- These did not have stones when imported (could of course be added)

Can not see all of this from the eBay photo but I'm convinced this is consistant with others fakes of this ilk I have handled. Some of these issues were of course noted by doyler as well. My thoughts only ......

I haven't handled nearly enough SOGs to give an opinion, but I am surprised that there isn't at least one expert here on the forum willing to speak up. If no one comes forward in a few days you may want to ask John Gibson his opinion. If I'm not mistaken he has handled a lot of SOGs over the years.

Sorry folks but my opinion is that, if the knife offered for sale is the same as the knife in the other pictures, this one is good!

Although the foremost authority on this subject passed in 2005 he taught me much about knives soldiers used in the service. As far as it being SOG is anybody's guess but if this is at least not Vietnam period, it's a good period.

No markings is not uncommon. One thing, they would be quite inexpensive so we go back to the lowest bidder rule with the military.

Of course we can't see the guards but the India and Chinese knives I have seen are stamped near the guard with INDIA or with the name of that great knife maker and designer J. A. Pan.

Besides not everybody was a knife snob like my old man who sent his baby boy off to war with a hand-made Hensley!

Wiley Winter

I own the iron guard Sog that John Gibson sold me displayed on the grey carpet in your 1st pic.

The ebay edition looks like crap and is surly a fake. thumbdown.gif

I own the iron guard Sog that John Gibson sold me displayed on the grey carpet in your 1st pic.

The ebay edition looks like crap and is surly a fake. thumbdown.gif

Ken,

Sorry, I think I duffed this one. I believe I was looking at your knife on the gray carpet.

The pictures on Ebay. The knife he is showing does not look, at least to these old eyes, like the sale pictures.

Wiley

Wiley

No problen at all.

Not easy to see something on ebay and decide if it is original.

A real Sog would probably have a starting bid i think?

Robert