New member from Indiana

Lawguns

Let me introduce myself. I am from Indiana and I found this site while researching items in my fathers collection. Specifically I was researching pre WW1 web gear.

My father passed away just over 1 year ago and I have been tasked with identifying, valuing and selling his collection. Since militaria is not my strong point I am going to the internet to identify the items and try to figure out their value. I am then listing it online for sale or selling it locally.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me in my endovor. I only have 4 more 26' box trucks of stuff to go through.

Good place to land, here.

I lived in South Bend and Mishawaka in the early 1960s, and took the oath in Indianapolis.

When posting militaria here it is good to include a photo and, if necessary, a scale to judge sizes by.

Here is a handy guide to resizing digital photos for use on this site:

http://ben-major.com/tools/usmf-resize.php

Patience...

Thanks for the link to resize images. Here is a pic of my dads place before I started cleaning it out.

post-167020-0-10360600-1490237762_thumb.jpg

Hey Lawguns -

Welcome to the forum. Good bunch of folks here. Sounds like you're gonna be busy for a long time to come. Glad to give you my opinion on any WWII Marine items. You've got your work cut out for you, though. What kind of stuff was your pop into - Civil War, WWI, WWII, Vietnam? Then there's the less frequently encountered stuff - Rev War, 1812, Indian Wars, Span Am, between conflicts... Was he into uniforms, helmets, gear, medals, paper, photos, weapons, and so on and so forth. Most folks here have one area in particular that they focus on, but there are some fellas who can cover a lot of the bases. Your best bet is to post photos of stuff you're unsure of. Someone here will be able to help, or at least steer you in the right direction. Wish you the best of luck with this - Chris

Welcome from a South Bend ex-pat. This forum is exceptional and a valuable site for information. Plus, it's very user friendly.

Al

Welcome fellow Hoosier! The photo you posted looks like the kind of collector's room I love. Please post photos when you can. There are numerous knowledgeable and very helpful members on this forum who love to identify about any period of U.S. militaria you might have. Look forward to hearing from you and seeing more photos.

Steve

My fathers motto was any army any war. He went from collecting his whole life to having a military store in the 80's. He ran that store until his health forced him to close the doors. At that point it became his collection again. His collection ranged from Japaneese Swords to modern patches and anything in between.

Here is a picture of one of his Vietnam Displays

post-167020-0-19568900-1490320505_thumb.jpg

...He went from collecting his whole life to having a military store in the 80's. He ran that store until his health forced him to close the doors.

It would not be surprising that some of our members knew him and his store... good chance of that.

It would not be surprising that some of our members knew him and his store... good chance of that.

The store was Mac's in Berkeley Ca.

The store was Mac's in Berkeley Ca.

Maybe, consider posting an entire separate thread here using something like "Mac's Militaria store - Berkeley, CA" ???

That oughta bring 'em outa the woodwork! :)

Just a thought... (cannot wait to see what comes of it, if you do)

I might try that. Headed to a gun show outside of philly this weekend. (Selling modern stuff). I will get back to the old stuff next week