WW2 Assault / invasion vest

Jamecharles

Hi All!

i've finally found an original ww2 Assault / invasion vest, when it 'll arrive (becouse i'm still waiting it) i'll do some better photos anyway let me know what do you think and if you've ever seen something similar in ww photos!

I know it have alot of modify but looks cool:

wwvesta3fv0.th.jpgwwvesta2gg1.th.jpg

Ciao

Giancarlo

Captainofthe7th

I don't have any doubts yet that this is a real vest.

Many GIs cut off the upper pack part because it was just a ridiculous article to get into.

Hope that helps a little,

Rob

Johan Willaert

That's not even a cut down vest anymore....

OK, there's one picture of a GI with a cut down vest in Normandy. To wear something like this, he would have had to pass at the AB Rigger station to sew up a vest like that....

Oh please johan post the photo pleeeeeease :D

Just another question what is the best uniform to wear with this vest to represent a ww2 us ranger?

M41 f.j. with rangers diamond, hbt trouser (special or classic m43 hbt?), wool shirt or wool shirt plus hbt ? leggings or jump boot?

Johan Willaert

Here is the WW2 picture of the GI with the cut down Assault Jacket somewhere in Normandy

post-24355-0-98239100-1411143716.jpg
Picture from BFryar.

Now you could use your cut down version but it's not only cut down, it has been completely taken apart and re-assembled. Therefore it is absolutely not representative for a D-Day set-up.

Johan Willaert

As for Rangers; unless you're representing an Officer or NCO, it would not be correct to have an assault jacket.

Rangers wore M41 jackets in Normandy with HBT trousers.

This is the Normandy worn jacket of Pvt VAUGHN of the 5th Ranger Bn

VAUGHN.jpg

Here's a 4ID set-up I once made for a local display. It represents a boat team leader of the 8th Infantry Regt, with M41 and wools under original CC2 impregnated HBT's and with my original AJ.

Ivy2.JPG

OK understood , anyway yes i would represent an officer (1st lt) so it would be ok with this vest.

Yes probably is not correct for the dday landing, it would be more correct in late june of 1944? or later?

about leggings: is better leggings or jump boot ? (always for a rangers display)

It's probably more correct for going fishing in, unfortunately. Especially unfortunately as it appears to be the remains of an original vest.

I think what Johan is saying (and what I'm definitely saying) is that this isn't probably even a GI modification, but could well be a post-war rehash for something like hunting or fishing...

Where is it coming from as a matter of interest? That info might help in trying to work out when it was butchered.

Cheers,

Glen.

The vest of topic is real without a doubt but as Johan has said, heavily modified. crying.gif Most likely a post war modification as has also been said.

Bryan

BTW, here is another photo of a cut down assault vest worn in Normandy. (Courtesy of Combat Reels)

PDVD_029.jpg

Same GI on the left of the photo.

PDVD_030.jpg

This is an original cut down assault vest from my collection. It's in used condition, made by Harian 1944 and marked size Medium.

MVC-104S.jpg

ok thank you all! anyway is not so hard try to re-modify the vest, i can buy the most similar m2 vest and take the missing part and sewn them on the vest, is a bad idea?

It's probably more correct for going fishing in, unfortunately. Especially unfortunately as it appears to be the remains of an original vest.

I think what Johan is saying (and what I'm definitely saying) is that this isn't probably even a GI modification, but could well be a post-war rehash for something like hunting or fishing...

Where is it coming from as a matter of interest? That info might help in trying to work out when it was butchered.

Cheers,

Glen.

I agree Johan and Glen, just looking at the left and right upper pouches you can see that you could never shoulder a weapon to fire it. Therefore it is not a military modification.

At best this is a post war modification (to a fishing vest or some such) or at worst its a bad fake.

I hope for your sake its that former.

The 4th Div cut down a number once ashore as the lowrer pockets banged into the legs. But they did not last long in combat, and one big reason is that its like wearing a canvas tent in the summer heat.

Of course, for all this and much more on the darn thing one can always read a book...

You can find some info to start with in Jon's book "Spearheading D-day"...

Must prevent you anyway from buying a postwar refurbished jacket...

rgds

Bart

ok thank you all! anyway is not so hard try to re-modify the vest, i can buy the most similar m2 vest and take the missing part and sewn them on the vest, is a bad idea?

James,

I can possibply restore the vest back to it's original configuration (minus the bottom section of course). The only problem that you'll run into is finding the correct khaki canvas material. The canvas on the M2 vest that you referred to is too heavy for the assault vest. The correct material is quite a bit thinner and the same as found on T-5 & T-7 packtrays. If you can find enough correct material to make the upper pack & flap I can rearrange everything and sew it back using original thread etc.. However, it will still show the sewing stitch holes from where it had been modified. Let me know if you want to do this and I can give you an estimated price.

Regards,

Bryan

mhhh interesting!

But first i must found the right and original canvas with the same color :( and this is the biggest part :( unfortunatelly ...

Contact me via PM

mhhh interesting!

But first i must found the right and original canvas with the same color :( and this is the biggest part :( unfortunatelly ...

Contact me via PM

PM sent

Johan Willaert
Just another question what is the best uniform to wear with this vest to represent a ww2 us ranger?

To get back to your original question, take a look at this mannequin from the Museum at Fort Bragg.

1003229ro7.jpg

Some items on this mannequin are repro, but it gives you an idea what a Ranger from the 2nd Bn looked like on D-Day...

And again, buy Jon Gawne's book Spearheading D-Day. It will answer all of your questions.

JOhan

Thnx that is a good info i'm looking on every image that i can found about rangers during the dday landing and yes i'll buy the book of Jon Gawne ! :D

so is more correct use the Service Shoe, Type II than the Roughout Service Shoe, right?

Johan Willaert

Most shoes would have been the reverse uppers, dubbed with shoe impregnate for protection against Chemical Weapons.

SOme of the 5th Ranger Bn seem to wear Jump Boots

• 6 months later...

So these vests were worn in place of a haversack or musette? If that's the case then did they just load the pockets up with ammo or did they were a cartridge belt also?