BB&B Co. Silver Star #27486

cthomas

A good evening to all.

Here's something I just purchased which is totally out of my area of expertise (WWI Aviation).

This Silver Star looks legit...and I was wondering if there are any medal experts on the USMF who could help me research that serial number, #27486.

I have done some preliminary research & do fully appreciate the gravity of my situation. I'm hoping of course that we will have better luck with identifying the recipient.

PLEASE help me ID this Silver Star. Thank you!

Sincerely,

Chuck

For what it's worth, the ribbon & brooch are long gone. Instead, it's been fastened to a leather necklace (by the looks of it, for a while now)

post-518-0-60339100-1490132101.jpeg

post-518-0-77569500-1490132114.jpeg

post-518-0-75499700-1490132132.jpg

dhcoleterracina

A nice BBB Silver Star. They aren't traceable except for a lot that went to soldiers in North Africa. If my memory is correct.

• 2 weeks later...

Would I be correct in saying this is a 1932 BBB Co. contracted silver star? Does that help with a time frame? Early recipient?

chcoleterracina is correct, most of the traceable numbered Silver Star Medals were issued for actions at North Africa. The majority of them come from General Orders issued in 1943, some in 1942, and the odd one or two from 1944. The lowest number I have recorded is 10667 and the highest is 46845. I only have one number recorded in the 27,XXX range, 27353 and it was announced in 1943. The numbers to the left and right of 27353 are 24934 (announced in 1943) and 29666 (announced in 1944). Since there is a gap in which all of 25,XXX, 26,XXX, all but one from 27,XXX, and all of 28,XXX are missing from my list I would hesitate to venture a guess on whether yours was issued for an action in North Africa or for some other action/war.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin! That is just the information I was looking for to help set me straight on the issue. I'd like to think we're all missing a simple piece to the puzzle...that the military hierarchy in all of its anal retentiveness...could fail to document serial numbers on valor awards, especially the Silver Star.