Millennium Club Intruder patch, Military? A-6?

Siamundo

Does anyone know for sure what this patch is or what it represents? It seems to always be identified as connected to or referring to the A-6 Intruder, but is that correct? If so, what is the Millennium Club? Is it for 1000 hours of flight time? At first I though maybe it referred to breaking the sound barrier-i.e Mach 1, and that was the wall the panther was breaking but I was not sure A-6 Intruders could do that. Why the panther? If it is military related, is it related to Navy Attack Squadron 35?

post-2744-0-07490500-1489940433_thumb.jpg

I gave about an hour to searching where there was open access, for something to reference the patch, in both Navy and Marine aviation. This is all I came up with:

- Found one Navy A-6 squadron that at least once used a black panther image on a patch > ATKRON 35, as you wondered

- Didn't see anything involving breaking through brick walls, but such an image certainly suggests getting past some sort of performance barrier

- "Millenium Club" is now-and-then used in civilian aviation circles to record 1,000 hours flight time, but I don't know if Navy or other military used it that way

- Looked every which way using all key words in varieties of combinations, and that is all I could come up with for now.

Sure will be nice to find out where the patch was made.

Hi Bluehawk, thank you for taking the time in trying to help out with a definitive ID for this patch. You share some good observations. I appreciate the effort!

Sure will be nice to find out where the patch was made.

I don't know much about Navy stuff, but as far as where it looks 1970s US made.

Randy

Thanks Randy. I'll agree, it doesn't strike me as a typical Japanese looking made patch but I am not positive if it is US made or not based on the lettering. There does seem to be a little bit of inconsistency in some of the letters as is sometimes found on Asian made patches but realistically, lettering could just as easily be slightly different on a US made patch as well. Specifically, there are three 'L's in the top and all are just slightly different as are the 'M's. I thought it was odd too that the bottom letters all have serifs yet the top letters do not.

I have seen just the Black Cat breaking through the wall on a patch with just the intruder logo at the bottom which signified the A6 to me. I think the millennium club is an addition to the standard patch. obviously done at the time of manufacture but added on. I would go with the 1000 flight hours, the jet jockeys loved to celebrate milestones, look how many different centurion patches are out there.

firefighter

Thanks firefighter. It seems to be the consensus that Millennium Club refers to 1000 hours of flight time.

Yes. Sorry I meant to add that I think it may be something from Northrop-Grumman and not a particular squadron. A-6 Prowler

• 2 years later...

The Panther breaking through the wall was Grumman’s initial idea for the A-6 Intruder patch, the Navy came up with their final version (pictured below). The above picture is from the flight jacket of a Navy A-6 acceptance assigned to the Grumman Bethpage plant in the late 60’s, they wore the Grumman submitted patch as a throwback. No idea about the millennium patch, but it may be a thousand hour deal for Grumman assigned pilots. The below Navy patch is what 1000 hour USN regular intruder pilots wore.

Scott

I hope the pictures show up, they are not displaying on my computer...If not, perhaps someone can lead me to the proper way to post JPG. Thanks Scott

post-219173-0-19302000-1553823564_thumb.jpg

The Panther breaking through the wall was Grumman’s initial idea for the A-6 Intruder patch, the Navy came up with their final version (pictured below). The above picture is from the flight jacket of a Navy A-6 acceptance assigned to the Grumman Bethpage plant in the late 60’s, they wore the Grumman submitted patch as a throwback. No idea about the millennium patch, but it may be a thousand hour deal for Grumman assigned pilots. The below Navy patch is what 1000 hour USN regular intruder pilots wore.

Scott

post-219173-0-18907300-1553823615_thumb.jpg

Steindaddie

Just to add further evidence to the tale, this is the generic A-6 patch given me by a man who was skipper of VA-165 in the late 1960s.

post-1949-0-25150600-1554271631.jpg

• 2 weeks later...