ww2 USN, USMC pilot photos

jerry_k

Cobrahistorian

Glad to see the return of this thread!

I figure I'll add one more. Lt. Warren Manhart flew Photo Recon F6F-5Ps off of Iwo Jima in the closing months of WWII. I'm working on a model of his Hellcat to go along with his khaki uniform.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, Manhart flew with VMD-354, a Marine Hellcat unit!

warrenmanhart001.jpg

pararaftanr2

Hi Jerry and all,

Speaking of USMC canteen covers and web gear, check out this Marine SBD crew:

post-9787-1302015652.jpg

In addition, note the holster the gunner (on the right) is using.

Best regards, Paul

Great photo Paul! I was always thinking if Marines aviator used M1910 first aid pouch or not, now I know ! Thanks lot :)

Holster is great, here is nice example from my friend grouping :)

regards,

Jerry

post-369-1302036427.jpg

Cobrahistorian

Hey, since we're on the topic, does anyone have any photos of VF-74 on Corsica in 1944?

Full photo of USMC aviators which I put earlier in smaller version. We can see more field gear there:)

Regards,

Jerry

post-369-1302078958.jpg

Hi Cobrahistorian.

At Naval Aviation Museum I found two photos of VF-74. Here there are: F6F-5 Hellcat aircraft of VF-74 being position and prepared for launching the invasion of Southern France from the USS Kasaan Bay (CVE-69).

post-369-1302088550.jpg

Cobrahistorian

Great shots, thanks Jerry! VF-74 had a night fighter detachment of F6F-3Ns on Corsica during the invasion. Been trying to find any photos of them to go along with the uniform I've got from one of the pilots. I've got a model built already, I'm just trying to determine the markings worn by the nightfighters during that time and if there are any special markings. I've got a few blurry shots, but I figured I'd ask here.

Hi Cobrahistoria.

I cant find any info about special markings of Nightfighters but sometimes in 1945 they completely painted the AN/APS-4 radar at Glossy Sea Blue color. Very often the cover of radar was white. I also found photo of F6F-5N from VMF(N)-533 from 1945 where indication of aircraft "F(N)16" was totally painted to avoid the shine in night.

The best way is find some photos of VF(N)-74 aircraft and see if they got some special addition. The Night Figters squadrons were very small unit and very personal...

Regards,

Jerry

• 3 years later...

VPB-53 crew members

Hey Jerry, Thanks for posting this pic! I'm doing research on this Squadron since a cousin of mine flew the PBY-5A with them in JAN 1944 & received the Navy and Marine Corps Medal for rescuing a Lt. Lehnert, USMC of VMF-422 on 27 JAN 1944. My cousin was Lt.(jg) Herbert Charles Shively USNR.

I'm getting ready to start the Academy 1/72 PBY-5A soon and need info on the aircraft & Squadron.

Thanks,

Eddie

Hey Jerry, Thanks for posting this pic! I'm doing research on this Squadron since a cousin of mine flew the PBY-5A with them in JAN 1944 & received the Navy and Marine Corps Medal for rescuing a Lt. Lehnert, USMC of VMF-422 on 27 JAN 1944. My cousin was Lt.(jg) Herbert Charles Shively USNR.

I'm getting ready to start the Academy 1/72 PBY-5A soon and need info on the aircraft & Squadron.

Thanks,

Eddie

Hi Eddie... I have a log book to a Harold Freed who flew in your cousins crew from Jan. to June 1944........Mark

Hi Eddie... I have a log book to a Harold Freed who flew in your cousins crew from Jan. to June 1944........Mark

Hi ya Mark! You have peaked my interest!! I would be interested in seeing a copy of that logbook. Harold Freed is the only name I've been given so far, thanks to you! What was his position & rating?

Do es it give a BuNo for the 27th of JAN?

Thanks,

Eddie

Hi ya Mark! You have peaked my interest!! I would be interested in seeing a copy of that logbook. Harold Freed is the only name I've been given so far, thanks to you! What was his position & rating?

Do es it give a BuNo for the 27th of JAN?

Thanks,

Eddie

It was BuNo 04413 .I will do my best to get some scans to you in a day or two...Mark