ww2 USN, USMC pilot photos

jerry_k

Charlie Flick

Hello Paul:

More excellent photos. Thank you.

Yes, my interests in US military aviation and small arms intersect here. I have long had a particular collecting interest in the S&W Victory Model and its accoutrements.

The Major Elwood shot is neat. While the Navy issued an early war order for M1911 pistols to be turned in in favor of the S&W Victory Model it seems that the Marines went their own way and never did let loose of their .45s, although some Marine aviators in the latter part of the war could be seen carrying the Victory.

The rigger made shoulder holsters were a field expedient that held the line until the M3 (for the M1911) and the M3 style (for the Victory) holsters came into widespread use in 1943. Before that time there had been no standardized shoulder holster adopted for use by aviators.

These fabric holsters are frequently seen in photos taken during the Solomons campaign. Here is one of a Marine aviator, a Lt. Callahan.

LtCallahanUSMCRiggerShHolster.JPG

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick
Charlie, this one floored me when I found it. First Lieutenant Robert L. Woods, USMC, a PBJ pilot with VMB-611. I believe taken in the Philippines in 1945. He wins the "Biggest Blade" contest hands down. An official USMC photo from the www.

Another good one, Paul. Lt. Woods is obviously a former Boy Scout and is prepared for any eventuality. That blade of his is actually a survival type of machete known as the Knife LC-14B, the Woodsman's Pal. It was actually an Army item and continued to be issued in various forms right up through Viet Nam. Heck, it may still be in the system.

Here is a quick pic of a Woodman's Pal that I pulled off the net.

Woodman__s_Pal_LC_14B.jpg

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick
Last one. This is a group of VF-17 pilots on Bougainville in 1944, after a mission. Notice the tall pilot, fourth from the right with his pistol belt thrown over his left shoulder. He is Ens. George Keller. The edged weapon hanging from his belt isn't something you would normally associate with Naval Aviators, but photos show that several of his squadron mates also had these WWI blades in their possession. Source is www. Regards, Paul

Paul:

It appears that Ens. Keller is carrying a US Model 1910 or M1917 bolo. These were very sturdy, and heavy, blades that were issued to machine gunners during WW1. They were, obviously, not a Navy issue item. I have another pic in my in my archives somewhere of some VF-17 guys with one of them with a bolo stuck in his belt. If I can find it I will post it.

Regards,

Charlie

Yes, Tom wrote about it !:)

and better photo of this emblem!

Best regards,

Jerry K.

And here is the real deal! Enjoy!

My dad was stationed on Majuro with these guys and other squadrons of the 4th MAW.

Regards,

jpstout

post-3673-1265870975.jpg

Thanks jpstout for input!

Impressive story and imperssive patch!!!!!

Here is another one shot :

September 1943: later that month Lt.(jg) Gregg, and SBD Dauntless dive-bomber pilot flying off the USS Yourtown, was killed in action during a raid on Wake Island [...]

post-369-1266408078.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
pararaftanr2

Hi Squad leader,

That's one of my all time favorite photos. Thanks for posting it. Here's some more classic color images from the National Archives:

post-9787-1268451444.jpg

post-9787-1268451504.jpg

Photo of pilot LTJG Richard Scobell sitting on the wing of his TBM while attached to VT-305. Photo taken about July-August 1944. Re-assigned to VT-7 off the USS Hancock, LTJG Scobell was killed in action on Jan. 16, 1945 over Hong Kong harbor.

post-2609-1268528196.jpg

pararaftanr2

If anyone has searched the Life magazine photo collection on google images, you already know what a great source this can be. Try the following search:

Midway, Pool and Layout source:life

You will find at least 200 photos of Marine air and ground activity on Midway Island taken in September of 1942 (Life dates them to November, but a photo shows a pilot marking off a September calender). Further Midway searches will result in several dozen color images as well. I believe the squadron depicted is VMSB-241, of Battle of Midway fame. The high res images of pilots and crew highlight the details of their flight gear. Some examples:

post-9787-1269179668.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

New contribution to this interesting post that may be waked up! :thumbsup:

Pilots and crew from VMF-512. The man in the middle seems to use Nylon suit and helmet as the first left with a Nylon helmet?

Minnesotans.jpg

pararaftanr2

Hi Bebel,

Thanks for the wake up call! That photo shows a great mixture of early and late war flight gear. The pilots are from VMF-512 and VMTB-143 aboard U.S.S. Gilbert Islands in 1945. For those who don't already know, Adam Lewis, who is a member here, has a great web site that documents those two squadrons and provides one of the best collections of vintage photos to be found. He also showcases his considerable model building skills. Check it out at: http://www.adamsplanes.com

Here's a nice shot of another Marine pilot, Bob McClurg of VMF-214. Note the Goodyear B-3 Mae West and rigger made pouch for survival gear. Regards, Paul

post-9787-1271447108.jpg

Johnny Signor
Photo of pilot LTJG Richard Scobell sitting on the wing of his TBM while attached to VT-305. Photo taken about July-August 1944. Re-assigned to VT-7 off the USS Hancock, LTJG Scobell was killed in action on Jan. 16, 1945 over Hong Kong harbor.

post-2609-1268528196.jpg

This Squadron was known as the "Red Asses" hence the Squadron decal on the cowling, the patch/decal depicts an all red rump sitting in grass on a yellow oval with a red border.

New contribution to this interesting post that may be waked up! :thumbsup:

Thanks for this great photo Franck...

I also have this shot in Jeff Millstein book about USMC aviation unit insignia 41-46... here is all page:

Also it look like that second pilot from right is wearing USMC green wool pants...

post-369-1271688394.jpg

Hi Bebel,

Thanks for the wake up call! That photo shows a great mixture of early and late war flight gear. The pilots are from VMF-512 and VMTB-143 aboard U.S.S. Gilbert Islands in 1945. For those who don't already know, Adam Lewis, who is a member here, has a great web site that documents those two squadrons and provides one of the best collections of vintage photos to be found. He also showcases his considerable model building skills. Check it out at: http://www.adamsplanes.com

Here's a nice shot of another Marine pilot, Bob McClurg of VMF-214. Note the Goodyear B-3 Mae West and rigger made pouch for survival gear. Regards, Paul

post-9787-1271447108.jpg

Thanks Paul for another great shot... I love this rigger made survival kit!!!

Adam site is very good source of vintage photo... I have'nt been there for a long time...

here are my two favorite photo from site...

Notice: another rigger made pouch (probably for flare) and on second one: khaki jersey shirt with green nylon suit...

The best regards,

Jerry K.

post-369-1271688756.jpg

post-369-1271688801.jpg

• 1 month later...
pararaftanr2

In remembrance of D-Day, here are some photos of Cruiser Scouting Squadron Seven (VCS-7). They beached their Curtis Seagulls in England and used second hand Spitfire MK-Vs for Naval gun fire spotting in support of the landings. Their flight gear is mostly RAF, but several Navy items, as well as uniforms, were retained.

post-9787-1275834736.jpg

pararaftanr2

post-9787-1275834899.jpg

Note that their RAF type G oxygen masks don't have the tube attached. They flew at low altitudes, so did not need oxygen, but used the masks as microphone carriers.

pararaftanr2

post-9787-1275835076.jpg

Navy flight gear shown here includes M-422a intermediate jackets, AN-6530 goggles and summer flying gloves. The pilot on the left wears winter service blue trousers while the one on the right has aviation green working trousers.

Best regards,

Paul

teufelhunde.ret

479px_Bauer_HW_USMC.jpg

The President of the United States takes pride in presenting the MEDAL OF HONOR to

LIEUTENANT COLONEL HAROLD W. BAUER

UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS

for service as set forth in the following CITATION:

For extraordinary heroism and conspicuous courage as Squadron Commander of Marine Fighting Squadron TWO TWELVE in the South Pacific Area during the period May 10 to November 14, 1942. Volunteering to pilot a fighter plane in defense of our positions on Guadalcanal, Solomon Islands, Lieutenant Colonel Bauer participated in two air battles against enemy bombers and fighters outnumbering our force more than two-to-one, boldly engaged the enemy and destroyed one Japanese bomber in the engagement of September 28 and shot down four enemy fighter planes in flames on October 3 leaving a fifth smoking badly. After successfully leading twenty-six planes in the over-water ferry flight of more than six hundred miles on October 16, Lieutenant Colonel Bauer, while circling to land, sighted a squadron of enemy planes attacking the U. S. S. McFARLAND. Undaunted by the formidable opposition and with valor above and beyond the call of duty, he engaged the entire squadron and, although alone and his fuel supply nearly exhausted, fought his plane so brilliantly that four of the Japanese planes were destroyed before he was forced down by lack of fuel. His intrepid fighting spirit and distinctive ability as leader and an airman, exemplified in his splendid record of combat achievement, were vital in the successful operations in the South Pacific Area.

/S/FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT