ww2 USN, USMC pilot photos

jerry_k

another great shot, showing on the left AAF an6510 seat parachute ( H harrness on front AAF Switlick-style and can by converted for Q.A.S. system ) and on the right USN seat parachute ( X harrness on front USN Irvin-style )

This guys are from USMC, SBD crew (VMSB-331) Majuro Atoll , June 1944 on the left pilot John McEniry and rear gunner Ted Sittel.

Best regards,

Jerry K.

post-369-1249392330.jpg

Johnny Signor
another great shot, showing on the left AAF an6510 seat parachute ( H harrness on front AAF Switlick-style and can by converted for Q.A.S. system ) and on the right USN seat parachute ( X harrness on front USN Irvin-style )

This guys are from USMC, SBD crew (VMSB-331) Majuro Atoll , June 1944 on the left pilot John McEniry and rear gunner Ted Sittel.

Best regards,

Jerry K.

The Squadron's diving bee wbinocular riding falling bomb is on the nose of the SBD in photo.

Also note second photo comedian Joe E. Brown is with this crew.

Yes, Tom wrote about it !:)

and better photo of this emblem!

Best regards,

Jerry K.

post-369-1249557896.jpg

Those pilots on the left are carrying revolvers. Am I right to assume that they are S&W Victory Models??

Douglas.

Sgt. Boghots

I believe you are right on the S&W Victory Models. - Also, note the pilot on right end of the back row, has a plastic canteen.

Best regards,

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
Charlie Flick

Gentlemen:

I believe that these aviators are members of VF-8 aboard the USS Hornet in 1942.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

1942_06_04_a_vf8_crew.jpg

just got this in the mail today. I missed the other two negatives but got the pilot shot. The auctioon was titled a pilot of the "red raiders" I looked it up and that was a 5th AAF unit. This guy looks like he is a Naval Aviator. I say that because of the Dungarees. Any way here is the scan.

Mike

post-1387-1250998356.jpg

Except for the parachute harness (which could be an AN series and Navy issue) he is 100% USN. Flight helmet. USN style of wearing dye marker. Mk1(?) knife butt sticking up above .45. What appears to be no reinforcing rivets on his shoes.

Could be there is more than one "Red Raiders", and don't forget he might be a crewman on a larger USN aircraft, not just a SBD or TBM.

Tom :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice and thanks for the links. I am going to write the buyer of the 2 negatives taht showed the planes and see if I can get them, for a price. :)

Mike

I don't believe this! I tried one last combination of search words on Google and VOILA!

Here are your USN Red Raiders:

http://tinyurl.com/kjsnoy

Tom :twothumbup:

• 4 months later...

Hi Jerry,

Here are a few of my favorites that you may not have seen before. First is Cmdr. "Jumpin'" Joe Clifton, CO of VF-12, aboard CV-3, U.S.S. Saratoga, on November 5th, 1943. He's reading a Psalm to his pilots before their first strike on Rabaul. Image from the NMNA.

post-9787-1265655699.jpg

Charlie Flick

Pararaft:

Welcome to the Forum. Those are some great pics you have posted. Thank you.

I especially like the shot of the VT-5 aviators. The center guy is wearing his Victory Model shoulder holster as a belt holster, a not uncommon practice. Both he and the guy on the right are carrying Mark 1 knives that look like PAL Cutlery blades.

Great stuff. Got any more?? :thumbsup:

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Hello Charlie,

Thank you very much. It's my pleasure. From your comments, I'm guessing you might be interested in some more images with side arms and edged weapons? The first one is also from VT-5, circa 1943. The air crewmen are unidentified. It's not too often you find a photo where their weapons are un-holstered. Source is NMNA.

post-9787-1265687882.jpg

Here is a nice one of Major Hugh Elwood, USMC. This is a signed copy of an original print. In addition to the rigger made holster for his automatic, he also has a rigger made "shoulder holster" style first aid kit under his right arm.

post-9787-1265688299.jpg

Charlie, this one floored me when I found it. First Lieutenant Robert L. Woods, USMC, a PBJ pilot with VMB-611. I believe taken in the Philippines in 1945. He wins the "Biggest Blade" contest hands down. An official USMC photo from the www.

post-9787-1265689255.jpg

Last one. This is a group of VF-17 pilots on Bougainville in 1944, after a mission. Notice the tall pilot, fourth from the right with his pistol belt thrown over his left shoulder. He is Ens. George Keller. The edged weapon hanging from his belt isn't something you would normally associate with Naval Aviators, but photos show that several of his squadron mates also had these WWI blades in their possession. Source is www. Regards, Paul

post-9787-1265689762.jpg

Hello Pararaft!!!!

Big thanks for this photos!!!! Very nice! One with Major Hugh Elwood, USMC is amazing! I like the Holster set with first aid kit... I saw this one before and I was always considering what is it ??? Now I know, thanks a lot!!! Here is members photo of VF-17 and also we can see custom made first aid kit under right arm!

The best regards,

Jerry K.

post-369-1265720098.jpg