ww2 USN, USMC pilot photos

jerry_k

Salvage Sailor
And more

Nice photo of a USN PV-1 Ventura aircrew. These squadrons are often overlooked when recounting the history of naval aviation in the Pacific theater. In particular, the Venturas of the 'Empire Express' engaged in the Aleutians campaign where death awaited not only from combatting the Japanese, but also from the arctic weather conditions.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys!

More photos of USMC crews of PBJ-1 Navy version of Mitchell. Photos are from VMB-443, VMB-433 and VMB-613...

post-369-1242845760.jpg

post-369-1242845809.jpg

not Joe E. Brown??? More photos of him with discription! "Lieutenant Colonel George A. Sarles assists comedian Joe E. Brown with his flight gear. Brown had been touring the Pacific and accompanied VMB-611 on at least one mission.

http://www.vmb611.com/index.htm

enjoy,

Jerry K.

post-369-1242857191.jpg

• 2 months later...
Sgt. Boghots

Joe E. Brown went way beyond in his efforts to entertain the troops. He made several trips to forward areas, and was a real favorite.

If I recall correctly, either while he was on a trip or during, he also lost a son in combat. - But he stayed the course.

It was indeed a different time . . .

Great photos, all of them !!

Best regards,

Paul

I've been scanning some original WWII press photos to sell on ebay and came across a couple of Navy ace pilot David McCampbell - one in the cockpit and one of him getting decorated by Commodore Gordon Rowe.

mac.jpg

dave.jpg

davecap.jpg

Here two nice shots of USMC and USN aviation personel.

Sgt. Boghots: Thanks for more info about Joe E. Brown!

Best regards,

Jerry K.

post-369-1249330758.jpg

post-369-1249330901.jpg

Here two nice shots of USMC and USN aviation personel.

Sgt. Boghots: Thanks for more info about Joe E. Brown!

Best regards,

Jerry K.

Jerry,

What is the data on the photo to the right? It is intriguing per some previous discussions here in that it ostensibly shows USN/USMC aircrew wearing both USN (Irvin-style) and USAF (Switlick-style) parachute harnesses. I have always felt that, at least, USN/USMC did wear the Switlick style harness on occasion as they were the official "AN-" harnesses. Must confess, however, I have never seen an Air Corps flyer wearing an Irvin style harness.

Nice photo!

Tom :thumbsup:

Jerry,

What is the data on the photo to the right? It is intriguing per some previous discussions here in that it ostensibly shows USN/USMC aircrew wearing both USN (Irvin-style) and USAF (Switlick-style) parachute harnesses. I have always felt that, at least, USN/USMC did wear the Switlick style harness on occasion as they were the official "AN-" harnesses. Must confess, however, I have never seen an Air Corps flyer wearing an Irvin style harness.

Nice photo!

Tom :thumbsup:

hi Tom... any data on this photo... I have it from WW2 but I dont rembmer where, it was a long time ago...

I remember this discusion :

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=4230

I think most of USAF parachute( H harrness shape on front vs. Navy X shape harrness on front ) was converted to Q.A.S. by Navy Rigger. it is not big deal removed seat pack, canopy, put two hanger one the back and new hook and hanger on front for Q.A.S. pack straps... or even they didnt resewn front straps but put extra v-rings for Q.A.S. parachute pack straps...

ps. I also never see AAF photos with Irvin style harrness...

I

here are some photos of this style of parachute harrness ( AAF style converted for Q.A.S type)

post-369-1249389659.jpg

Corpsmancollector

Unfortunately I don't have any photos at hand to add, but what a fantastic topic! Great for research.

Jerryk was the photo in the last post taken from a reference book?

Thanks,

Will

This photo show perfect two V-rings sewn to USAF (Switlick-style) also called an6510-1

Very offten You can see converted USAF (Switlick-style H shape harrnes on front) to Q.A.S. but without any hook on front for Q.A.S. parachute pack straps , so I dont have any idea where pilots put it.. For refferance I also put a photo of Parachute pack and harrness together.

Best regards,

Jerry K.

post-369-1249390705.jpg

post-369-1249390742.jpg

and Q.A.S. harrness with Q.A.S. parachute pack!

This photos are from Jeff Warner book.

Will,

Photo is from old french MILITARIA MAGAZINE... I was cool article about USN Pilots!

Thanks for interest,

JK

post-369-1249391268.jpg