ww2 USN, USMC pilot photos

jerry_k

Hello Guys.

If You have some nice ww2 photos, shows: flight gear of usn usmc aviation personel can You put it here!

Everyphotos from www, books etc.

I started with my top 5!

Thanks ,

Jerry K.

post-369-1223935696.jpg

.................and Bennett was a volunteer in the library at

NMNA in Pensacola for many years....really great guy with

great stories.........

That last one, of the twins, was in National Geograpic wasn't it?

Hello Owen! Hmmm maybe yes but I have this photo from Warner book bout usn aviation gear!

Also thanks for info about Bennett, do You have any contact with him???

Best regards,

Jerry K.

teufelhunde.ret

1st Lt Rolland N. Rinabarger of VMF-214 in his early F4U-1 Corsair at Espiritu Santo in September 1943. He was badly shot up by Zeros during an early mission to Kahili only two weeks after this photo was taken and returned to US.

Vmf214_f4u.jpg

How about just before the war?

This shot was taken at Pensacola NAS in the fall of 1940, some folks working towards their wings of gold in TrnRon3. The two gents facing the camera were USNA '38 classmates. On the left is Jack Hilton, he became a fighter pilot and retired a Captain. On the right is Bill Leonard, my father, another fighter pilot, who retired a Rear Admiral.

Rich

post-385-1224355625.jpg

Hi Rich,

That's a great shot. Post some more stuff of your dad!

Blue skies,

Owen

This shot was taken at Pensacola NAS in the fall of 1940, some folks working towards their wings of gold in TrnRon3. The two gents facing the camera were USNA '38 classmates. On the left is Jack Hilton, he became a fighter pilot and retired a Captain. On the right is Bill Leonard, my father, another fighter pilot, who retired a Rear Admiral.

Rich

post-385-1224355625.jpg

Thanks Guys for great photos!!! Of course any of pre war will be welcome! RAL If You have more photos of Your father can You put it here???

Best regards and thanks,

Jerry K.

On the back of this last one:

THIS PHOTOGRAPH IS ONE OF "THE 100 BEST PHOTOGRAPHS OF THE WAR TAKEN BY NAVY, MARINE CORPS AND COAST GUARD PHOTOGRAPHERS". SELECTED BY CAPTAIN EDWARD STEICHEN, USNR, DIRECTOR OF COMBAT PHOTOGRAPHY"

Steichen was a famous photographer who served as the Navy's official photographer for the war.

The exact caption of the photograph is faint but it shows ready room pilots watching the loud speaker as they listen to inter-plane communications off Tinian in 1944.

Tom thumbsup.gif

post-81-1225066261.jpg

Hi Tom!

Thanks for photos here!

The second photo from first post shows VT-2 Avanger crew members, one of this guy is a Donald Farrell I have more photos of him. I will post it later today...

Best regards,

Jerry K.

Here more photos of Donal Farrell vt-2. He was flying over the Saipan in 44.

Photos are from Militaria Magazine N#205( sorry for quality but I dont have scaner at home:((()

post-369-1225142379.jpg

• 5 months later...
Johnny Signor

in the photo of the 3 men standing in front of the TBM,#90 on it's nose, the center pilot is wearing the patch of Torpedo Squadron -2 a Disney design of a Rabbit riding a falling torpedo with a crescent moon and two stars in upper top. I'm surprised he's wearing it on a flight suit if he's going into combat,it was "usually" a no-no to do this by the regs,of course some were overlooked and this was one of them I guess.