Fixed Loop Helmet from the estate of Major General Bernard L. Robinson - Help appreciated

1966ww2collector

1966ww2collector

A couple of years ago I bought this from a seller that was selling other items from the estate of Major General Bernard L. Robinson. Among other responsibilities in his career he was in command of the 5201st Engineer Brigade in the Philippines. I bought the helmet in hopes of finding a clue as to why he would have kept this helmet. It is a fixed loop with black steel chinstrap hardware. It has a Seaman liner with green painted A washers. The helmet has a messy field paint that got on to the chinstraps. The clue that I found was the name "McGavock" penciled into the headband. I had forgotten about the helmet and decided to start looking again for a giveaway clue. I didin't come up with much in the military records. There are several McGavock's with draft cards. What I did find today is that his wife was Geneva McGavock Robinson. So now I know the importance. I am guessing that his wife had a brother in the military. Now I need to track him down and see what I have. (assuming I am correct).

Any help in getting me from Geneva to her military relative would be greatly appreciated. I assume that ancestry is the best route but I currently don't have a membership. I do have a fold3 subscription.

Any help woudl be appreciated.

I took a few quick pictures to post for now but can put some better ones up when I have more time.

Thanks,

Doug

post-153641-0-01279700-1489852260.jpg

post-153641-0-94671000-1489852272.jpg

post-153641-0-09868300-1489852280.jpg

1966ww2collector

Update

I have narrowed the search to:

John Hickman McGavock

Breckenridge, KY

Born April 8, 1911

Died Dec 22, 1974

Enlisted March 7, 1941

Relased April 1, 1946

Branch Army

He was married to Geneva before she married Major General Robinson.

I am guessing that she must have been widowed and then remarried since she kept her first husbands last name.

I found the enlistment / release date in Fold3 but no other info.

Enlistment record site draws a blank.

Any ideas of how to get to the next level would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug

1966ww2collector

Update #2

I have figured it out.

Major John H. McGavock

5202nd Engineer Construction Brigade

PTO

Found them in a book about Leyte.

Major General Robinson was in command of the 5201st in the PTO.

That would be the personal connection.

I'll post better pictures later.

• 4 years later...
17 hours ago, Dr.Vas said:

If you're still interested in the topic I have a bunch more information about these men.  

I for one would like to see this, so please do post it.