Hello From Michigan!

mtu_husky

Hey everyone. My name is Kevin. I'm glad to have stumbled on this forum. A good friend of mine is a WWII collector and I'm currently helping him restore an M2A1-7 flamethrower for display. I may also get involved with helping to setup displays at a new museum in the area.

In addition to this, my grandfather Roland Paeth served in the Philippines in WWII. He passed away before I was born, but I've taken to digging through as much as I can of his experience in the war. Most of the information I have found was unknown by my family prior since he did not talk about the war much from my understanding. As for my WWII collection, I currently have the bayonet that my grandfather carried while being cut off from his regiment for several days during the landing on Corregidor. He was part of Company K, 34th Infantry Regiment, assigned to the 24th Infantry Division. There is a good chance I may pick up a few more things as I learn more about his time there.

Anyway, glad to be a part of the forum and I look forward to learning and helping where I can.

post-166836-0-32526700-1489808936_thumb.jpg

Hello Kevin and welcome! I too am from Michigan and I just opened the Michigan Military Heritage Museum in Grass Lake (we are on Facebook and at glahc.com). My Grandfather was also in the 34th Regiment in Company L, so we have a bit in common. Hopefully you can check out the museum and stop out sometime! Good luck with the research on your Grandfather! Scott.

Hello Kevin and welcome! I too am from Michigan and I just opened the Michigan Military Heritage Museum in Grass Lake (we are on Facebook and at glahc.com). My Grandfather was also in the 34th Regiment in Company L, so we have a bit in common. Hopefully you can check out the museum and stop out sometime! Good luck with the research on your Grandfather! Scott.

Hi Scott, I'll have to try to get out that way, sounds like a good excuse for a day trip. I have a friend that would probably love to come see your museum. I've been digging for a little while for info on my grandfather. Fortunately, there were a couple of books written that refer to my grandfather by name, which has helped immensely in narrowing my search. I'll let you know when I can get some free time to come check out the museum.

Hey man are you a student at Tech?

I was. Graduated in 2006. Made many treks across the Seney stretch...along with some very slow drives in snow storms while trying to make sure I didn't play bumper cars with the plows...good times.

Welcome

Where in Michigan are you. There are quite a few of us Michiganders on the forum.

Bob

Hi Bob, I'm in Southeast Michigan, on the skirts of Farmington Hills.

Not a native Michigander - but worked in museums up there a total of 5 years in two different thumb-area towns, and as a kid made many many many visits all over the state; north, south east and west. My father attended Adrian College, and as a theology graduate student was given a tiny rural parish in Michigan.

One thing I love about Michigan is that it is not a "pass-through" place - to get there you have to go there on purpose.

Great memories of your domain!

Awesome! I'm a student at Northern Michigan. Our schools still have a pretty big rival haha.

Jacob