Loops inside M1949 sleeping bag?

phantomfixer

phantomfixer

There are two straps/ loops, left and right, on the inside of the M1949 sleeping bag, near the shoulders...any idea of their intended use......

post-155518-0-63831100-1489797134_thumb.jpg

post-155518-0-48923800-1489797139.jpg

GDMortarman

For when you roll around in the bag you can adjust where the zipper is and you can pull up and just general physical body placement

I'm having flashbacks to the musette bad loop conversation haha but I have no idea what that loop is for.

Me, too... cannot unread this...also

phantomfixer

kinda what I was going for guys ...sorry...but now I have to pull out several other M49s and see if they have the loops too...

kinda hoping that M1949s all over are being pulled out of the closet to check for the same...

kinda what I was going for guys ...sorry...but now I have to pull out several other M49s and see if they have the loops too...

kinda hoping that M1949s all over are being pulled out of the closet to check for the same...

LOL- Just one more little project for today...while I'm at it, I'll check the W.W.II down-filled mummy bags to see what's up...

US Military Guy

That's just great!

I have two in my collection(both dated 1963) - so I suppose I have to pull mine out too? :D

I have a military funeral, first - and then I will see, if I can dig them out.

Of course, if you guys have this figured out first, I won't have to dig mine out. :P

AAAARRRRGGGG

I pulled mine out. The straps are in my 64 dated bag but not my 71 dated bag. There are also small straps that are more like shoe laces in my WWII dated mummy bag.

Bob

OK I went a little further in my digging. I grabbed a WWII sleeping bag liner which as still in use in the 60's and what do you know, there are ties at the shoulders. The Former Marine lovingly called it a "fartsack" and was glad to give it to me. If you look at both pics you can see the remaining tie string at the shoulder. The other shoulder and the foot have remnants of ties that have gone by the wayside. I think we may have a mystery solved. Now to roll them all back up and put them away.

Bob

post-3384-0-16142900-1489858823.jpg

post-3384-0-78964300-1489858876.jpg