jeep marking

Rogerdean

Hi

I am doing a reenactment in Dijon France i have a PX and I would like to change the unit identification markings on my jeep with 2nd AD quatermaster Co or supply bn

2Δ X SOS A—10 could this be correct ?
thanks for your help

Roger

I don't think the SOS part of your proposed bumper number is correct.

Shelby Stanton's "WWII Order of Battle" shows the 2AD Having a Service Company, 2nd Armored Division. The Division Trains had: HHC, Maintenance Battalion, Supply Battalion and 48th Armored Medical Battalion.

I am not certain how the Service Company or Supply Battalion for a division marked their vehicles.

I have a copy of a publication regarding vehicle markings. If I can find it, it might answer the question. In the meantime, if you haven't done so already, you might ask on the WWII Jeep Forum website at: www.g503.com You will have to join the forum, but I believe it is still free and pretty painless. Lots of knowledgeable folks there that can probably help you.

I'll keep looking for that book and let you know if I find it.

Wow! I found it already! It is a reprint of AR 850-5 (Army Regulation 850-5) dated August 5, 1942.

It gives an example of what I think you are looking for:

1(triangle)-1Q--A-10A-10........10th vehicle, Co A, Sup Bn, 1st Armd Div.

In your case, you would want: 2(triangle)-2Q--A-10

The Q stands for Quartermaster, and the rest is explained. In case you didn't know: the 2(triangle) should be on the left as you are looking at the front of the jeep (passenger side), and the A-10 should be on the right as you are looking at it (driver's side).

I hope this helps!

STEVE thank you so much !! i have been looking on the net for some time ,i will do has you suggest , i'll check it out on that forum ,thanks again for your help

regards Roger

You're welcome, Roger!

Be sure to post some photos!

Are you by any chance going to participate in the 2nd Armored's CCB in northern France in July? I ask because I am planning to be there.

• 2 weeks later...
Johan Willaert

Sorry, missed this topic completely...

To confirm what Steve wrote above; a GMC Truck from the 2QM Bn in Hasselt, Belgium, 1944.

Note that contrary to the Army Regs, the small dashes are missing between the markings...

Picture from Vanstreels' book...

post-92-0-71949500-1490896155_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Backtheattack

Let`s see some pics from the complete Jeep. Would be interesting because we have a thread dealing with markings of the 2nd Armored Division at our Magdeburg history forum.