Stalag Luft III by Bob Neary + lots of personal items

captmaster

Hello all,

I figured this was the best forum to present my recent findings in and get some sound advice from you guys that have far more knowledge than I do.

I bought some old coins off a guy and he told me about some old WWII letters and a book and I didn't think much of it, however I had him send me a picture of the book so I could do some research. Once I started to dig around I realized it was an incredible piece of history so I picked it up from him along with a lot of other items. Ill list them below to give an idea what all I have.

-Stalag Luft III by Bob Neary with inscriptions and details of where he stayed along with who he stayed with, and photos by H.E. Kious of the actual camp life with personal notes from the owner, 2nd Lt. Jack M. Montgomery POW

-10 post cards and 9 letters from him to his parents in great condition from Stalag Left III

-8letters from his parents to him at the camp

-letter from Harry Truman on Whitehouse letterhead(although I think it was auto signed)

-letter to his parents from Allan Jackson at CBS world news

-Western union reporting Jack as MIA and one reporting POW

-photograph on the B24 he went down on

-various news paper clippings

-folder of his military records with certificates and lots of personal documents.

I am essentially trying to wrap my head around what I have, its hard to do so just searching online.

Ill attach pictures as well.

Thanks in advance.

Captmaster

post-166622-0-86345700-1489687737.jpg

What would be the best avenue to market and sell these items?

I want the entire package to stay together and I could only find so much on the book, I saw one on ebay currently going for a grand and another sold at auction for 1250 a couple years ago.

I'm sure I could throw the whole lot on ebay however it would be hard to put a price or market all there is to offer.

Any advice would be appreciated and if there are any collectors that have interest please feel free to reach out to me.

Thanks

That book is scarce , but I have never seen one actually sell for more than $250 on EBay. The one on EBay BIN for $1000 has been on there forever. I sold one of my extras on EBay last year for $150. I still have 2, but they belong with groups.

Kurt

That book is scarce , but I have never seen one actually sell for more than $250 on EBay. The one on EBay BIN for $1000 has been on there forever. I sold one of my extras on EBay last year for $150. I still have 2, but they belong with groups.

Kurt

I agree with Kurt-have been looking for this particular book -but not at the price the BIN ebay one is at. The problem as I see with ebay as a measuring stick of 'value' is a lot of people only see the for 'sale' price not the 'sold' price which is a FAIR barometer of 'value'. Sometimes I see things on ebay [and I'm sure I'm ringing and old bell for some of you] sell for ridiculous prices both over priced and under priced. But that does not take away from the SERIOUSLY cool aspect of the OP's find.

Very nice collection of hard to find POW material.

What would be the best avenue to market and sell these items?

I want the entire package to stay together and I could only find so much on the book, I saw one on ebay currently going for a grand and another sold at auction for 1250 a couple years ago.

I'm sure I could throw the whole lot on ebay however it would be hard to put a price or market all there is to offer.

Any advice would be appreciated and if there are any collectors that have interest please feel free to reach out to me.

Thanks

As you mentioned, I think eBay is your best bet. Put the lot on there and let it rip. In my opinion you have a $400-$500 grouping. It's very nice indeed. Regarding that book, I picked mine up a couple years ago for $135. Best of luck!

JD

• 3 weeks later...