Coast Guard Purple Heart awarded for Vietnam

Dave

As always Dave, an interesting and well researched group. Hope you find out more about Mr. Russell. I think I already know the answer to this but will this be going in your book?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As always Dave, an interesting and well researched group. Hope you find out more about Mr. Russell. I think I already know the answer to this but will this be going in your book?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the comments, guys!

As far as being in my next book, probably not. Maybe if I could track down one of the KIA Purple Hearts from the same patrol boat, but otherwise, probably not. It's neat, it's super rare, but not what the book is about, unfortunately.

• 3 weeks later...

Probably the fastest time I've ever had a FOIA response...just about three weeks from sending to receiving!

There were some neat things in the response, to include copies of his Purple Heart certificate (showing USCG typeface for Vietnam...interesting...) and his certificate and citation for the Navy Commendation medal with V!

4-4-2017 6-23-56 AM.jpg

4-4-2017 6-23-14 AM.jpg

4-4-2017 6-24-36 AM.jpg

The file also confirms his location as engraved on the reverse of the marksman award.

4-4-2017 6-32-43 AM.jpg

Finally, it confirms his entitlement of awards. Why he didn't mount the two Vietnam awards and the three stars on his Good Conduct will unfortunately never be known...

4-4-2017 6-33-03 AM.jpg

That's good on the quick turn around for you at NARA Dave! It's always nice when the request answers the open ended questions on a grouping.

Randy

Salvage Sailor

Great grouping Dave, as you know Tim Page is a well known photojournalist. He was wounded three times in Vietnam, the second time being this incident.

timpagepass.jpg