Air Base Group Patches (?)

Wedgehead30

Wedgehead30

These two patches were part of a AAF/USAF Veterans estate. He served with the 5th Army during WW2 and then went on to the USAF when they branched. I think the 3076th patch is Air Base Group which was at Edwards AFB from 1949 to 1951 and then redesignated. I suspect the shield patch is related. The 3076th patch is 13 inches wide and 7 inches tall.

If anyone can shed some light on these it would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

post-124172-0-64142800-1489616649.jpgpost-124172-0-48670400-1489616659_thumb.jpg

The bottom patch dates from much later than 49-51. Looks like a "Flying Boxcar" reference (C-119) in the top of that patch. C-119s were medium AF cargo aircraft. With the RR symbol, the moon and sun (24 hours a day missions), the tire, looks like a supply squadron (or it could have been redesignated) patch. I did not find it on usafpatches.com

Hope an AF expert weighs in on this one, would like to find out for myself.

The bottom patch looks like a transportation/motor vehicle squadron to me. Not in my wheelhouse collecting-wise, but since the 3076 ABW became the 6510 ABW in 1951, it's possible it could be a 6510th TS or MVS. Later there was a 6500th TS at Edwards. It does look like a 50s era patch to me. Of course this may have nothing to do with Edwards and it was from a unit he was assigned to later on. Any more info on the vet? Sorry I can't ID it, but maybe some of these will help you find it.

Randy

One other thing I wanted to mention: Since it's shield shaped it may well be a group level patch. Since transportation, civil engineering, supply and other support functions fell under an Air Base unit, this could well be the actual group patch or one for another ABG/ABW at another base.

Randy

The bottom patch dates from much later than 49-51. Looks like a "Flying Boxcar" reference (C-119) in the top of that patch. C-119s were medium AF cargo aircraft. With the RR symbol, the moon and sun (24 hours a day missions), the tire, looks like a supply squadron (or it could have been redesignated) patch. I did not find it on usafpatches.com

Hope an AF expert weighs in on this one, would like to find out for myself.

Just wondering if the "Flying Boxcar" term was ever applied to the C-82 also?