Discharge patches

Bluehawk

The patches were usually machine sewn on due to what I believe was that part of the outprocessing procedure was to have the patch sewn on.

-Ski

I have found two uniforms recently where the discharge emblems were simply glued on. One had a khaki patch on an OD wool uniform.

Here's some more variations including window decals.

DSCN0759.jpg

I did receive my National Guard honorable discharge certificate in the mail within a month or so after I was discharged. But I never received one from my active duty service. Any ideas on how I go about getting a certificate?

I believe it would be somewhat akin with obtaining a paper copy of your DD214? It is, after all, just another DoD form that has to be issued... question would be whether or not the one you would receive today would resemble identically or approximately the one issued in the year you were discharged. I'm guessing, just guessing, that they might change the design every so many years?

I got my Regular Air Force in the mail, also within a month or so.

I have found two uniforms recently where the discharge emblems were simply glued on. One had a khaki patch on an OD wool uniform.

DSCN0759.jpg

With questional provenence? I never heard of them being glued on, so I would be rather suspicious myself. They might be legit, but I woud be skeptical.

-Ski

I believe it would be somewhat akin with obtaining a paper copy of your DD214? It is, after all, just another DoD form that has to be issued... question would be whether or not the one you would receive today would resemble identically or approximately the one issued in the year you were discharged. I'm guessing, just guessing, that they might change the design every so many years?

I got my Regular Air Force in the mail, also within a month or so.

Technically, I don't believe a DD-214 and a discharge are the same thing. If I am not mistaken, a DD-214 is a report of release from active duty while the discharge is granted at the end of a soldier's service commitment which is not necessarily the same date. My father was drafted in 1967 and was issued a DD-214 when he was released from active duty in 1969. However, his enlistment was for two years active duty and another four years of inactive duty during which he could have technically been recalled to active duty. So his actual discharge was not issued until 1973, at the expiration of his six year total commitment, and was mailed to him at his home. The point is that in many cases, at least during the Vietnam era, when soldiers left active duty, they were not technically discharged at that point. I assume that was how it was done in the branches other than the Army as well.

On the other hand, during World War II, most soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines enlisted or were drafted for the duration of the war plus six months. Thus, when they were released from the service during demobilization, their entire military obligation was fulfilled and they were immediately discharged. Many volunteered or were talked into joining the National Guard or Reserves, and even though they may not have ever actually drilled after WWII, they were nevertheless subject to being recalled during Korea and many were.

Manchu Warrior
Technically, I don't believe a DD-214 and a discharge are the same thing. If I am not mistaken, a DD-214 is a report of release from active duty while the discharge is granted at the end of a soldier's service commitment which is not necessarily the same date. My father was drafted in 1967 and was issued a DD-214 when he was released from active duty in 1969. However, his enlistment was for two years active duty and another four years of inactive duty during which he could have technically been recalled to active duty. So his actual discharge was not issued until 1973, at the expiration of his six year total commitment, and was mailed to him at his home. The point is that in many cases, at least during the Vietnam era, when soldiers left active duty, they were not technically discharged at that point. I assume that was how it was done in the branches other than the Army as well.

On the other hand, during World War II, most soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines enlisted or were drafted for the duration of the war plus six months. Thus, when they were released from the service during demobilization, their entire military obligation was fulfilled and they were immediately discharged. Many volunteered or were talked into joining the National Guard or Reserves, and even though they may not have ever actually drilled after WWII, they were nevertheless subject to being recalled during Korea and many were.

I was on active duty for three years and owed five additional years when I was released from active duty. I am not sure if I was ever place on IRR because I had already enlisted in the National Guard before I was released from active duty. I served a little over five and a half years in the guard so my original eight year commitment was fulfilled and therefore I should be able to receive my active duty honorable discharge, correct? I just don't have a clue on how I go about asking for my active duty Honorable Discharge Certificate, does anyone know? I apologize for hijacking this thread.

Technically, I don't believe a DD-214 and a discharge are the same thing. If I am not mistaken, a DD-214 is a report of release from active duty while the discharge is granted at the end of a soldier's service commitment which is not necessarily the same date.

I realize they are not the same thing... what I meant and failed to say, is that obtaining a Discharge certificate would presumably not be more difficult (and maybe easier?) than obtaining a copy of one's DD214.

Salvage Sailor
I was on active duty for three years and owed five additional years when I was released from active duty. I am not sure if I was ever place on IRR because I had already enlisted in the National Guard before I was released from active duty. I served a little over five and a half years in the guard so my original eight year commitment was fulfilled and therefore I should be able to receive my active duty honorable discharge, correct?

When I was in, there were several different Active/Reserve programs.

2 active, 4 reserve

3 active, 1 reserve, 2 Inactive reserve

4 active, 2 inactive reserve

When you finished your active 'hitch', you were transfered on paper to the ready reserves (where you had to show up and drill) or inactive reserve (which meant you were essentially 'out', just had to keep your address current)

ex. you were transfered from the USN after 4 years (on paper), and were discharged from the USNR six years after your date of enlistment. If you stayed in for 6 years or more, you were 'a regular' and got a USN discharge.

At the end of this six-year obligation (which was standard during the selective service/Cold War/Vietnam periods), then you were mailed your Honorable Discharge. Also, this discharge went to your offical 'home of record', so if you moved, or it was your parents house, etc, likely you never saw it.

Mine went to my parents house and they forwarded it to me. They also later sent my 'Cold War Recognition Certificate' to the same address.

Look at your DD-214. (this info may be different on newer forms, I'm refering to Vietnam/Cold War forms). In block 11a. you will see your transfer info (USAFR, USNR, USMCR, USAR, etc) and in block 16 will be listed your term of reserve obligation (2, 3 or 4 more years). Your DD-214 in block 13a will show your Discharge type (hopefully Honorable) but notice in the next block it will say 'type of certificate issued' NONE. This is because your reserve/selective service obligation is not fullfulled until the six years are up. Then you get your Honorable Discharge Certificate. Lifers get a full discharge from the regulars when they get out.

There ya go.....

No one has mentioned it but for WW2 veterans, the discharge papers had a box at the very bottom of the form that would have an entry "Pin Issued". This indicated that the veteran was given a "Ruptured Duck" pin to wear.

Hi guys--

I have just one question maybe you could answer. After reading this thread, I was wondering if GI's were always issued "duck" patches? After a close inspection of my grandpa's Ike, I can't see where a patch would have been sewn on nor can I find one in any pockets, boxes, etc. If you have followed some of my other threads, he was discharged from the Army in Japan with the Occupation in Sept. '46. His DD214 has the "Lapel Pin Issued" statement at the bottom. There are 2 small pins with his collection of items but no patch to be found. Again, should you have gotten a patch no matter what or could the missing patch have been an oversight? Obviously he got home somehow (hence my existance) with no patch and without being thrown in the Brig for being AWOL.

Just wondering

Nick

BTW-- My wife's grandfather who was Navy has the exact same "duck" pin in his group of Navy medals that my Army grandpa has.

I was on active duty for three years and owed five additional years when I was released from active duty. I am not sure if I was ever place on IRR because I had already enlisted in the National Guard before I was released from active duty. I served a little over five and a half years in the guard so my original eight year commitment was fulfilled and therefore I should be able to receive my active duty honorable discharge, correct? I just don't have a clue on how I go about asking for my active duty Honorable Discharge Certificate, does anyone know? I apologize for hijacking this thread.

I enlisted for 6 years ,4 active and 2 inactive. I reenlisted for 4 more so my inactive time was covered. When I ETSed , I signed up for 4 years IRR. When I got home I joined the NG. After my IRR time was up, I received an Honorable Discharge certificate in the mail. Even with having the discharge and orders in hand, they wouldn't let me out of the Guard! crying.gif Just the way it goes I guess

Custerman, They had it on the WW1 discharge too.. Will post a pic when I dig it up..

Comonick, My uncles were in the occupation troops from 45-46. Both Pacific Theatre.. Both had pins, but not patches..Perhaps the shortage of clothing had eased by thier time of discharge and made it un- neccasary with fewer soldiers in uniform out of service at that point.. Just a thought.

Fins.

...Just wondering...

Here's the directive, Nick:

"4 - How and when worn.--At the time of honorable discharge or separation from the service this emblem will be permanently affixed (preferably sewed) on the right breast of all the outer clothing...Commanders designated in paragraph 5b will insure that the honorable discharge emblem is affixed to the uniform of all qualified personnel during processing and prior to actual discharge or release from the service."

W.D. Circular No. 454 was dated 29 November 1944 and was effective until 29 May 1946. Source: Dr. Howard Lanham's American Military Patches, Other Insignia and Decorations of World War Two (link here).

Here's the directive, Nick:

"4 - How and when worn.--At the time of honorable discharge or separation from the service this emblem will be permanently affixed (preferably sewed) on the right breast of all the outer clothing...Commanders designated in paragraph 5b will insure that the honorable discharge emblem is affixed to the uniform of all qualified personnel during processing and prior to actual discharge or release from the service."

W.D. Circular No. 454 was dated 29 November 1944 and was effective until 29 May 1946. Source: Dr. Howard Lanham's American Military Patches, Other Insignia and Decorations of World War Two (link here).

Thanks Fins and Wailuna--

Since he was discharged in Nov. '46 may explain the lack of patch.

As with many of my other questions involving his service, this topic may also remain a mystery. crying.gif

Thanks

Nick

When I was discharged from the active U.S. Army I was given this pin and my DD214 states that I was honorably discharged but I never received my honorable discharge certificate and I never understood why. I guess I should have asked.

post-1412-1223912223.jpg

Not sure of your time of service or when. My Grandfather got his discharge when he left the Army after WWI with about one year of service.

Vietnam era Veterans even if drafted would not get their Discharge until their military obligation was up. This was 6 years. So drafted for 2 years would get separation papers and then 4 years inactive reserves followed by Discharge. If they couldn't find you to mail it, you didn't get it. You should be able to go online to NPRC (National Personnel Records Center) and get it. I was 6 years active so I got my Discharge when I left.

Maybe some current serviceman can tell us what the length of obligation is. I think the obligation is still 6 years. Doesn't mean you will serve that long, just the time before you will get your Discharge.

Maybe some current serviceman can tell us what the length of obligation is. I think the obligation is still 6 years. Doesn't mean you will serve that long, just the time before you will get your Discharge.

Current obligation is 4 years with an option for 6 years with bonuses. The Army was toying with a, no lie, 15 month enlistment for certain career fields, but as far as I know, it never went through.

-Ski

• 2 years later...
Here's the other branches.. The Army one is newer and is mine.. The USN, USNR, and USMC are all WW2. The USNR was my uncle's, The USN is from a USS Argone grouping, and the USMC was in the pocket of an officer's uniform

post-4106-1223918676.jpg

Sorry to resurrect this old thread. I'm curious about these pins. Couple of questions. Were these pins issued in the 1950s? Has the design changed any since then? Were they issues to all discharged service members or only to officers or only at retirement? Would an enlisted man have received one after serving one stint in Korea, for example?

88thcollector

This may have been posted already and I may have missed it. I think the discharge patch was worn to show that the soldier was discharged and did not have to salute officers or obey orders and no longer required to listen to military police. Also, as pointed out, the patch alllowed the wearer to use the uniform for 30 days but also clarified to everyone that the wearer was no longer active duty.