An ebay auction with "rare" wing...

pfrost

If you have been watching this auction, you may want to tread lightly.

The pictures are out of focus on the military aviator wing (which, if good, would be very rare).

While I can't be sure, I thought I recalled this wing (or its twin).

I believe this exact wing (although I could be wrong because the photos are so poor) was brought up in the pinned "fake and reproductions" thread many years ago..

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/21830-examples-of-fake-fantasy-reproduction-wings/page-10?hl=%20military%20%20aviator%20%20wing

(see post 243 by Cliff).

This pattern of wing is discussed on a couple of other threads, but I can't seem to dig them up just yet.

post-1519-0-42531700-1489514410.jpg

Thanks. I don't see myself as an Ebay auction police man anymore. If you chose to buy stuff off of ebay without doing due diligence you deserve what you get.

But this one seemed kind of blatant.

P

Here is another thread that mentions this pattern wing. http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29382-ww1-bullion-wing-variations/page-4 (see post 97-99)

Cliff Presley always says that it is a bad wing, and I have to say that I don't really like the pattern much myself. Some of the negatives are the backing and the use of little "ticks" for stars as opposed to the "X" that are usually used. Also the uneven "patina from a can" and the use of threads to delineate the wings. Not all bullion wings are works of art, but this one just seems "wrong". Also I don't like the aging on the back of the wing.

post-1519-0-38055900-1489520394_thumb.jpg