Survival Rations

dustin

Rations are always an inetersting subject and in some regards a popular subject. Like many things its always fun to look at geneology or progression. What has caught my attention is the immidiate post WWII develoment so I thought I would illustrate some of the succession from those developed during WWII.

The first ration derives from the Aircrew Lunch, this was a pocket sized carbohydrate ration consisting of candies with a red, white and blue carton. After the war, development subsided principally because of the transition to jet airplane were snacks were not considered necessary, but in 1949 the concept was revived. A new research project was launched initially giving the ration the title of Lunch-Fighter Pilot assembled under the same parameters of the WWII type, later it's title was changed to Food Packet-Individual, Fighter-Pilot. Samples were prepared in 1949 designated as the FP-X1 and FP-X2, the X1 consisted of the same components as the WWII Aircrew Lunch-candy bars, loose candies, and gum tablets. The X2 deleted the candy bars being replaced by cookies. For both units, the candies were packaged in a two-cell, tuck-end carton made from a colorless paperboard. This was laminated with glassine paper. Both types were service tested starting in January 1950. The problem the ration faced was that pilots would not be able to remove their oxygen mask while in flight while operating jet aircraft, so there was little no actual demand. Upon entering the Korean conflict a limited procurement of the FP-X1 was approved as a temporary measure, this procurement was for 25,200 packets. In 1951 100,000 more were ordered. The packet was formalized in November 1950 consisting of candy bars, a two-ounce mix of loose candies, and two candy-coated chewing gum tablets. The packet was eventually discontinued in 1953 after determining its overestimation on an actual service requirement leaving a large surplus. It was ultimately found impractical for the new jet age.

This is a laboratory image of the Food Packet, Individual, Fighter-Pilot (FP-1)

post-56-0-30421600-1489446725.jpg

Immeditatey after the war the AAF proposed the requirement for an inflight ration, an individually packaged inflight lunch consisting of a can of each meat, bread, and fruit or fruit juice, together with suitable accessories such as a can opener, spoon, and chewing gum. all were to be contained in a paperboard carton. The QMC approved of the ration in 1946 given the designation as Ration, In-Flight. Building off the original concept of a series of packages were developed for evaluation purposes with the first designated as the IF-1Inflight Packet. This then was revised to the IF-2 in August 1948 consisting of one can of meat, one can of fruit, one B-unit, one dessert unit, one accessory pack, one paper towel, one paper napkin, and one plastic spoon. on this unit nomenclature was revised to Food Packet, Individual, Combat, In-Flight, IF-2. A procurement of one-million IF-2 units were initiated in August 1948 to be assembled by the Chicago Quartermaster Depot between November 1948 and March 1949. In 1949, and experimental unit was assembled deleting the B-unit being replaced by canned bread, this unit was designated as the IF-3. Upon entering the Korean conflict revisions were already under way for a unit containing canned soup and canned fruit juice designated as the IF-4, in June 1950 one-million were placed on procurement. Between May 1953 and April 1954 another 1.5 million IF packets were on procurement but under the designations IF-5 and IF-6. The differences from these two units differed little from the IF-4 in that they included packaging improvements and did alternate some of the beverages.

This is an example of the IF-6 packet

post-56-0-38430500-1489448268.jpg

post-56-0-53312600-1489448272.jpg

Illustrated are examples of an inflight kitchen or compact box lunch. No development was found on these but they do follow the guidlones as established by the USAAF during the war for providing in flight meals for extended flights.

post-56-0-99963500-1489448692.jpg

post-56-0-33840600-1489448696.jpg

The rations illsutrated previously are not technically "survival" rations but rather compact sustenace units for flight crews, the predecessors are the WWII Aircrew Lunch and AAF Combat Lunch. For the USAAF during WWII the first emergency or survival ration utlized during the conflict was principally the D-ration, then K-Ration which was revised to the Parachute Ration then the Emergency Parachute Ration. The Emergency Parachute Ration was the standard by VJ-Day. The evaluation of a ration peculiar for use by the USAAF was first discussed in august 1945 establishing some basic parameters, it should be packaged as a one-man-per-day unit and be compact. Additionally, it should be acceptable in the absence of water (meaning non-thirst provoking), in hot or cold climates, under physiological distress, and when there was no assurance of other supplemental food sources (it must contain a high caloric count). The interesting fact was that food was recognized as less necessary than other prerequisites. On the priority list was water supply then the rescue material with rations or food on the bottom. In 1946, an all purpose ration entered development with focus orientated towards increased calories. By the close of 1946 both the Aero Medical Laboratory and the QMC were working on a suitable emergency ration. It wasn't long before the idea of a single ration morphed into separate rations for survival in arctic and jungle climates. By September 1947 two ration packets were developed designated SA (Survival-Arctic) and ST (Survival-Tropical). For the SA ration, the packets contained concentrated food bars, jelly type confections, bouillon powder, soluble tea and coffee, gum, cigarettes, and matches. These were packaged in a flat rectangular can similar to that of the WWII Emergency Parachute Ration. The first production was for winter trials of 1947-48 with the first quantity procurement in 1949 for 30,000 units, designated as the SA-1. In 1950, 10,000 SA-2 units were procured with the only change of the food bars coated with pectinate. Bot the SA-1 and SA-2 were superseded by the SA-3 slightly revising the ingredients in the food stuffs. The first procurement was initiated in 1950 for 103,400 units and an additional 250,000 in 1951. In November 1952, the unit was again revised to increase the caloric count and deleting the cigarettes re-designated as the SA-4, in 1952 50,000 were placed on procurement. In 1953 as part of specification revision, water purification tablets were added.

post-56-0-94214200-1489451741.jpg

post-56-0-46963800-1489451758.jpg

carrabassett

Fascinating article Dustin and well done. Thank you so much for posting this and educating us further on the subject of rations. Great stuff!

Jim

The development of a ration for tropical use was very similar to that of the arctic type in general purpose and external appurtenance but differed in in that the components were selected to withstand high temperatures and humidity. High carbohydrates were selected for this series or calories, this was found more beneficial for survivors in life rafts, in fact the WWII Life Raft Ration Type-A was used for the base concept of the ST ration. The components selected for the ST-1 ration were starch jelly bars, soluble coffee and tea, candy-coated gum, sugar tablets, cigarettes, safety matches and water purification tablets. The first procurement was initiated in December 1948 for 100,000 units. Just prior to the entry in the Korea conflict and ST-2 was placed on procurement slightly revising the packaging methods of the somponets and included survival instructions. A modified version of the ST-2 was procured in 1950 packaged by the Chicago Quartermaster Depot as an expedition for the Korean conflict. For this unit the components were packaged in cartons rather than metal cans, they were then sealed in a polyethylene bag, in turn, enclosed in a chipboard carton. They were to be labeled Food Packet, Survival, ST-2 (Modified). This modified unit omitted the tea, cigarettes, matches and instruction pamphlet. The ST-3 entered production in October 1950, it omitted the cigarettes and matches, added anither 2-ounce package of starch jelly candies, added three vitamin tablets, and reduced the amount of water purification tablets.

post-56-0-36556000-1489453336.jpg

post-56-0-03992300-1489453347.jpg

Now this just gets us to 1954, I'm not familar with the chronological order of further survival ration development, which i know exists but couldn't tell you what came first or when.

For a little context on the new line of emergency kits that would include these survival rations developed at the end of the 1940's and used through Korea.

Type A-1 ejection seat sustenance kit for global use

post-56-0-19867900-1489454359.jpg

post-56-0-16500200-1489454363.jpg

Here is the IF-2 for comparison purposes and appologies for not editing correctly, on the back end of this post multiple things were breathing down my neck so I was rushed to finish it off.

post-56-0-69417800-1489497827.jpg

Dustin, you consistently create the coolest threads here on the forum.

In terms of survival equipment, I think Dustin here is one of the most knowledgeable people in the world.

Thanks for the great threads and your excellent research, Dustin.

Rakkasan187

Dustin,

Once again a great thread. Wonderful research and information. I posted a 1960's over the water survival kit several years ago that also contained several rations. Here is the link below.. I will try to get better pictures specifically of the rations..

Leigh

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/49820-us-survival-kit-over-water/?hl=%2Bover+%2Bthe+%2Bwater+%2Bsurvival+%2Bkit

pararaftanr2

Dustin,

Thanks for the great information. I love the directions printed on the carton in your first post. "Before takeoff unwrap candy bars and return to this carton." I guess it would have been a bit distracting while actually flying your jet.

Dustin-

How do you feel about Steve1989 on YouTube? He opens and eats old rations including but not exclusive to US stuff. I both cringe and enjoy the content. I look at it like this: he opens them so I don't have to. Either way, original and fun content you may enjoy. He just ate 1967 in-flight AAF ration. Gnarley!

Hope he's still with us, man that takes an iron gut.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

He only consumed what was still safe, he did open the can of meat but had to put on a gasmask due to the stench.

Heck, I have eaten crackers with jam from 1953.... I wouldn't open my WWII stuff though. Not with k-rations at over $200 retail for a complete example... WWII C-rats are getting up there too.

Fascinating article Dustin and well done. Thank you so much for posting this and educating us further on the subject of rations. Great stuff!

Jim

Well I flubbed it, again I started it and then was rushed so hopefully you can read through my editing errors....thanks though.