WWII 79th Division Captain Helmet Silver Star Winner

Moonlight Gecko

Moonlight Gecko

I've had this helmet for a little while and thought I would share it. The veteran was a medical officer in the 313th Infantry Regiment and was also a Silver Star winner.

I found his Silver Star general order number:

HQ, 79th Infantry Division, G.O. No. 166 (1945)

Both the helmet and liner are marked with Captain bars, 79th Division insignia and his partial serial number. His last name is written on the chinstrap.

His letters home and other papers are in the collection of the Washington State Historical Society. It sounds like he fought with the 79th Division all the way from Normandy to Czechoslovakia.

https://beta.worldcat.org/archivegrid/collection/data/806959720

Physician; served with U.S. Army Medical Corps during World War II; received degree from Harvard in 1939 in industrial medicine in hygiene; served overseas in England in Apr. 1944 after extensive training in the U.S. over the previous 8 months; sent to France in June 1944 where experienced war as a battalion surgeon with the 79th Infantry Division on the front line; served in Germany and Czechoslovakia as the war came to a close, remaining in Germany for eight more months. Accepted a job with American Smelting & Refining Co. in 1946 in Ruston, Wash., after returning to the U.S. and worked there until retirement in 1971

​it looks like the helmet was stored badly, probably in standing water as one side is rusted. The markings on the liner are still very nice. He must have seen a lot of action during WWII.

post-339-0-46649200-1489379127_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-04058900-1489379131_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-15016700-1489379162_thumb.jpg

That's a fantastic looking helmet. It just oozies history.

ID'd, rank and Unit marked - don't get much better than that.

Rich

Hard to upgrade this one. It's has everything you'd want in a helmet. The wear shows honest field service that can't be duplicated. Great set & thanks for sharing. Take care. jason

Wow! Fantastic! What an amazing set! I love the look of it, and like the others said, ranked, unit marked and IDd, it doesn't get better than that! Congrats!

Rick