A-14 mask owner needs help ... rubber strap broke (oh crap!)

Phfly1010

The scream of desperation you just heard was me when I realized that a rubber strap on my usaaf A14 oxy mask tore through. See photo. Must have been a small tear in the strap I did not see and when I connected it to my A-11 leather helmet tore all the way. It pretty much tore my heart, too. Ok, what I can do to repair or replace the strap, which I probably realize will not be easy or even possible? Is there such a thing as rubber glue that might hold it together? Other suggestions? It took me a while to spend the money I needed to get a 14 mask and I'm just not ready to do it over a torn strap. Look forward to hearing from other forum followers. Thanks in advance.

post-163304-0-35900500-1489276743_thumb.jpg

northcoastaero

I feel your pain! Try one of the following sources for possible spare parts or an

incomplete mask to obtain the rubber strap assy. if it can be safely removed without

doing more damage. You may be able to slip the rubber strap free from around the

black rivets? The rubber strap size may differ based on the size of the mask face

piece? You may be able to get away with gluing a thinner piece of rubber or cloth

material with rubber cement to the inside area where the strap broke. Roughen up

the area to be glued with a piece of sand paper. Then clean with rubbing alcohol

before applying the glue/rubber or cloth piece if you decide to make this repair.

Hope this helps.

bellsaviation.com

garciaaviation.com

flyboyplus.com

aviation-antiques.com

warbird-parts.com

ebay.com

I had a similar problem when I got my first A-14. I couldn't afford at the time to replace it, and I wanted to do something to at least be able to use it as a place holder. What I ended up doing was getting some rubber strap material. I couldn't find green anywhere, but there was black in various widths and thickness that let me at least get close.

I've since replaced the mask with a much better one, but for the time being, it did the job.

post-68384-0-34604400-1489289512_thumb.jpg

northcoastaero

Nice repair. I was in touch with a local rubber products supplier years ago. I should check to see if

they are still in business and have green rubber for sale. I will add this to the list of things to do!

Nice repair. I was in touch with a local rubber products supplier years ago. I should check to see if

they are still in business and have green rubber for sale. I will add this to the list of things to do!

If you do find any in that correct green color give a yell! I searched all over with no luck. I'd love to get it right even if it's the back up A-14 these days :)

northcoastaero

I will look into it this coming week. I believe their business was close to one of the last remaining

hobby shops in the area. I could accomplish two goals with one task (kill two birds with one stone).

Knew I could count on you guys for ideas and to share my pain, frustration, anger, "I'm out $150 bucks" buzz kill, etc. Appreciate your efforts. Any more out there?

horridohutch

I had problems with my A-14 too, it had those "stress cracks" from being displayed 24/7. I ended up finding a replacement set on ebay, be patient you will find 'em!

post-133566-0-00113200-1489333073_thumb.jpg

phantomfixer

I know where there are some scrap A-14Bs...a few might have good rubber straps...will check it out this week for you ...