M-1950 Overseas Cap with red and black piping

blinky

Just poking around here these seem to be a bit of a mystery. I recently acquired a collection from one man including a worn khaki M-1950 Garrison Cap piped in red and black. The interesting part is that it has his partial service number stamped inside: "W-1863". The W, I assume, is for Warrant Officer?

Eric

edit: I'll have to post pictures later. My camera battery just died.

"W-1863" is the first letter of his last name and the last four numbers of his service number. It is the standard clothing ID and laundry number used at least from WW2 up to my time in the Army from 1970-1991. I believe the Branch of Service piping on your cap is for the Ordnance Corps.

Red and black. The closest piping I can find is red and dark blue (AG Corps) but like other examples posted, this is black.

post-125-0-13521100-1489281736.jpg

And the tag.

atb: you are correct of course, it's the first letter of his last name.....I should have remembered that, just a senior moment on my part.

post-125-0-37618200-1489282153_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys! Under bright light and magnification the color is black rather than navy blue but I found out yesterday vet this belonged to was with the AG Corps. This was a new one for me.