USAF Museum: WWII Flight Jackets and More

gwb123

Recently I had a discussion with the archivist there at the USAF museum and one of the talks was about artifacts. Off site, on the grounds of Wright-Patterson AFB is there warehouse, a massive structure consuming several acres. ...They also stopped taking books and manuals. If you contact them wanting to donate A-2 jackets and books they answer you will get is ...no!

Funny you should mention that. I offered the Museum a copy of a Cold War era Soviet aircraft recognition manual, including all of the wing markings of various nations and they pretty much turned me down flat. I suppose this is the downside of being one of the most widely recognized museums for aviation subjects. It's probably one of the first places families think of when wanting to find a permanent home for their loved one's wartime memorabilia.

Great stuff! I need to get back there! Of note, post #24. Looks like replacement post war insignia to me. Anyone else think so?

Randy

phantomfixer

not a patch guy but...

I know at our museum, we do things/add things that are not 100% correct, knowing that 98% of the visitors will enjoy the display and not know the difference...I disagree with this policy but still am guilty of it...

Great stuff! I need to get back there! Of note, post #24. Looks like replacement post war insignia to me. Anyone else think so?

Randy

I wondered about that. But replaced when? By the museum, or the original owner? No way to tell.

I don't think the museum would do it, most likely the owner. Could be his real ones deteriorated and he replaced them. A lot of these guys don't think about the authenticity, many just want to have a nice representation. There could be more devious reasons as well, but since I have seen this before with "a patch is a patch" line of thinking, that would probably be what occurred.

Randy