Large unknown 1960's Spad Pilot ID: VA-196

Siamundo

I have been trying to narrow down this patch and determine if it more of a non-specific novelty patch or if it was designed for wear by a specific unit. With it's large blank oval field at the bottom, I wonder if these were designed to be personally customized with whatever the wearer wanted added. It is a nice large Japanese made patch, probably 1960s vintage. On the surface I would have thought these would have been favored by pilots or crew members who flew A-1 Skyraiders, nicknamed Spads, as it features a WW I Spad. On the LJ Militaria site, there is a version of this patch pictured which has 'VA-72, Fighting Blue Hawks' embroidered in the blank bottom section however I could not find any reference on-line of VA-72 ever flying A-1 Skyraiders, so that pokes a hole in that thought. I have seen another version with "Spads Forever" in the bottom listed on ebay, but I am pretty sure that is a reproduction patch.

Additionally, the tail of the Spad features the letters NK which was the tail code for Carrier Air Wing 14. Digging into this a little bit, I found that during Vietnam CVW-14 made deployments aboard three different carriers. Attack Squadron 145, VA-145, was assigned to CVW-14 and flew A-1H/J Skyraiders during 1964-1965 aboard the USS Ranger and again in 1965-1966 aboard the USS Constellation. Now I wonder if this could be a patch specific to VA-145. Maybe I am just overthinking this whole thing :)

post-2744-0-97670100-1489253109_thumb.jpg

Salvage Sailor

With the 'NK' on the vertical stabilizer I'd say you're on the right track.

Probably made to be a personalized patch (although this one is not) as the manufacturer left a space at the bottom for name, unit, etc. if the buyer wanted to add something. Quite typical in USN novelty type patches.

Thank you SS. I agree with you the bottom space was left there to have whatever you wanted added later- your name, nickname, squadron, funny expression or whatever one might think of.

northcoastaero

Just recalled that Lt(jg) Dieter Dengler was with VA-145 aboard the USS Ranger 12-10-1965 to 8-25-1966

cruise when he was shot down over Laos. There was a documentary and movie made about his experiences.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VA-145_(U.S._Navy)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieter_Dengler#Shot_down

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Dieter_Needs_to_Fly

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rescue_Dawn

That is a great looking patch Johnny. I like it! How were you able to connect it to VA-196? It looks like they flew Skyraiders circa 1962-1966.

Johnny Signor

Hello , I got a large collection of "patch images" on a CD rom some time ago from a historian at the Tailhook Assoc , and it had all the various unit types on it with titles etc and this patch was one of them, I take the info on the disc to be legit as it came from a "Historian" of the association , and have found none so far to be inaccurate , hope this answers your question ......

Johnny

• 6 years later...

Bringing this one back up from the depths, i recently purchased this off of Ebay, the seller said this was his from the mid sixties.  I guess the patch was not just SPADs but FUDDS also. ( The E-1 Tracer) The  patch is From VAW 111  Interesting are the Greek letters on the flight jacket   Phi (ph) - Upsilon (u) - Chi (ch) and Kappa (k)!  patch is just shy of 12 inches tall

FUDD MAN.jpg

VAW 111 USN.jpg