Brown EGA

338thRCT

post-70300-0-83053400-1489154499_thumb.jpgpost-70300-0-21539800-1489154723_thumb.jpgI normally don't buy EGA's due to ignorance as to their time periods etc. Through the forums information, I would think this one is a post 1950 piece as it has the spot on the anchor fluke? I noticed too that someone had put some lead or solder in the flukes reverse side.I have seen this done with British cap badges as a repair or reinforcement of the metal, but is this common ? Any input is appreciated.

Schnicklfritz

It looks like the EGA went through some heat judging by the rear. Perhaps to reattach the screw post by soldering it back on. My guess would be that this caused the original black finish to flake off and expose the base metal. The brown comes from the tarnishing over the ages.

If you're reluctant to buy EGAs because of lack of knowledge invest in Klie's book USMC Eagle, Globe and Anchor Emblem 1868 -1963 Pictorial Guide. The 3200 + pictures will help ID 90% of the emblems you may find.

SgtMaddoxUSMC

there was a shortlived line of "chocolate" EGA's but I don't know for sure that this is one. Could be..

If you're reluctant to buy EGAs because of lack of knowledge invest in Klie's book USMC Eagle, Globe and Anchor Emblem 1868 -1963 Pictorial Guide. The 3200 + pictures will help ID 90% of the emblems you may find.

Klie's book is great, I own it, but it seems like any time someone has an EGA question anymore they are directed to go buy this or the Briuer book (which is also great). I joined this forum several years ago to glean knowledge from more experienced collectors and I learned tons. Eventually, as I got deeper into the hobby I started buying the expensive references. It just seems like a recent thing here that people are discouraged from asking basic questions - that they should use Google and research on their own. Then what's the point of having a forum like this? Just so knowledgeable, experienced collectors can stroke each other? Not to unload on you Dozer521, but I find myself spending more time on the Facebook extensions of these forums because the people are much less crotchety and friendlier. I'm an old coot myself, but I don't want to act like one.

I'm all for the forum and the discussions. Klie's book is a quick reference that should answer the basic questions like "is this a WW2 emblem or not?" The more profound questions of who manufactured, what variation, and is this the correct emblem for this uniform seem more appropriate for the forum. Just my thoughts.

Schnicklfritz

I have both books .... and not trying to be disrespectful, but there are mistakes in both books. They are good starting points, but on the forum, things can be hashed out and questions answered.

Klie's book is great, I own it, but it seems like any time someone has an EGA question anymore they are directed to go buy this or the Briuer book (which is also great). I joined this forum several years ago to glean knowledge from more experienced collectors and I learned tons. Eventually, as I got deeper into the hobby I started buying the expensive references. It just seems like a recent thing here that people are discouraged from asking basic questions - that they should use Google and research on their own. Then what's the point of having a forum like this? Just so knowledgeable, experienced collectors can stroke each other? Not to unload on you Dozer521, but I find myself spending more time on the Facebook extensions of these forums because the people are much less crotchety and friendlier. I'm an old coot myself, but I don't want to act like one.

I must admit I have been less helpful these past months, and when I do it is often short, but please know it is due to my being deployed and thus far limited to a small phone for typing and not due to crochety ego stroking. I say ask away, I will try to help when/where I can. Just don't buy all the good stuff while I'm gone

I must admit I have been less helpful these past months, and when I do it is often short, but please know it is due to my being deployed and thus far limited to a small phone for typing and not due to crochety ego stroking. I say ask away, I will try to help when/where I can. Just don't buy all the good stuff while I'm gone

You have always been "one of the good ones". I have come to you many times over the past several years, and I'm sure some of my early questions were especially lame. You were always gracious and took the time to explain things and point to references. Whether you know it or not you were always my "go-to" guy for EGA questions, and you always came through. I continue to see you do this regularly here and really respect and appreciate you for it. Thanks for your service and I look forward to your future posts here.