53rd Ammunition Train, Coast Artillery Corps

repbrock

Here is a nice piece I just picked up with some accompanying documents. Thoughts? I have some additional information that I will add

Here is an interesting article I found about his service in the 54th Artillery, CAC. Please look at additional photos. Post was replacement? Prewar uniform with postwar insignia. Uniform came from family estate untouched.

Good looking tunic. Are all the buttons rimless or just the top one? I have seen many Coast Artillery uniforms that combine earlier features such as this. Pretty neat.

The 53rd Ammunition Train (in 1918) was part of the First Army Provisional Park along with the 52nd Coastal Artillery (320mm), 51st Ammunition Train, and the 52nd Ammunition. These units, along with the Tractor Artillery Replacement Battalion (formerly 2/54th Coastal Artillery Regiment) comprised the 1st Army Artillery Park.

Perhaps your man was formerly assigned to 2/54th Coast Artillery Regiment.

JAG

It's all I collect... I have other uniforms that are very nice to trade for CAC. I am writing a book on the 50th www.50cac.com and will eventually put one together on the other 32 Regiments that served in France along with the AA, TM, T and Park Artillery units. Still a lot of information to gather.

Do you have any CAC uniforms?

This is an early jacket, too early to be issued during the war, so I think it's either a reissue, local militia tunic or something he had before the war, maybe he served in a local Coast Artillery Company before the war and sewed on the patches upon returning.

I'm a Coast Artillery collector too. It's always been my main area of interest. My dad started his military time in the 245th CA, NYNG (my avatar) before WW2.

I have a few CAC uniforms but not nearly enough, isn't that always the way?

The uniform you have here could very well be pre WW1, the rimless buttons make me want to say so. It is a very clean example with the beautiful cross stitching on the rank and rating insignia.

I for one will be looking forward to you book.

Dan

Dan,

Do you think it would be possible for you to send me photos of your uniforms or anything that is ID'd to a regiment or person? I have about 25 CAC WWI uniforms and helmets, you can see some of them here: http://www.50cac.com/coast-artillery-corps.html. You will have to check each tab to see the different regiments. I still haven't posted a lot, but I am trying to document each regiment in the book and would like to have each chapter filled with images of ID'd items.

My Grandfather served in the 50th and I would love to buy anything related to his Regiment.

Attached is a really nice helmet from the 47th. I have posted many of my CAC under WWI helmets within this forum.

You can reach me at my email of [email protected]

Best,

Brock

post-154058-0-76743700-1489336314_thumb.jpg

Brock,

I have a couple of WW2 CAC uniforms and one piece that is pre WW1, a M1907 overcoat with 1st Class Gunner insignia and marked in ink inside is 52 Co CAC. It is another example of the gunner insignia applied with the cross stitching. I can send you pics of the overcoat if you like.

Dan

Thanks Dan,

I am strictly staying to the Units that served in France, which were 43rd -75th. If you come across anything related to those units or WWI AA, or Train, please let me know, I would like to get copies of anything related to those units.

Brock

Has anyone seen this grouping? I would love to buy/trade for it. The man served with my Grandfather and it has been floating around since 2003 in different collections. I would be willing to pay more than what it is worth to get it. It belonged to Juho Verta and I have many of his items already but would like to reunite the uniform with all the paperwork and other material that his daughter gave me a few years ago.

Attached Images

post-154058-0-59289100-1489435927_thumb.jpg