Hi, I'm just starting to get into collecting WWII uniforms and was having trouble telling the difference between a WWII Ike and a post WWII Ike. I've been told that the lining on the inside is a big giveaway and I know the tag is as well but what if the tag has been removed? Are the any dead giveaways? Any information is welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As mentioned the later ones used a smaller double 'snap' on the waist, and the linings tended to be more of satiny darker green material while WW2 ones were a bit more of mustard green cotton. later ones tend to be a bit bigger too in size. There are a lot of variations too, so good to look at some of the past threads here, and post things BEFORE you buy them!

Good luck & welcome aboard!

Mr.JERRY
Collector of WWI & WWII Home Front Flags, Unit Flags & Guidons,US & German helmets, insignia, uniforms, medals,

Women's Military Uniforms,Wisconsin Vocational School made Fighting Knives.

Military Shop Owner & Dealer in everything else~!

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Check out our Facebook page for updates and the latest Shop news!:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Military-Collectibles-Shop/171226792906875
Visit our website (and visit our shop if you are ever near Milwaukee, WI USA)
http://www.militarycollectorsHQ.com

See what Mr.Jerry has on eBay this week:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/mr.jerry/m.html?_ipg=200&_sop=1&_rdc=1

The inside pocket has a label sewn (inside) along the outer portion. The information on the label includes manufacture name, patent dates and a wonderful manufacture date. This has always been my go to guy. I bought my first IKE jacket in 1974. It was at Uncle Dan's Army Surplus in Skokie, Illinois. Or Illinoisssss for all you foreigners. It was 8.49 + tax. I've been using the inner label since.

I believe my information is correct. If this is incorrect, please let me know. Thanks,

Michael

donation2017.gif
donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I almost always have military items online. Don't hesitate to ask questions.

MY eBay LINK BELOW

EBAY AUCTION LINK

I'll be sure to post any uniforms I plan on buying in the future just to be safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent idea. Lots of bogus put-together Ike Jackets out there. Post here with asking price and you'll get solid advice.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

There are some great reference books that you can pick up as well. You will save yourself a lot of money by investing in reference books early in your collecting.

There is a 4 volume series by author Shelby Stanton which are pretty decent reference books. They have a good selection of photos. These are currently available on Amazon for pretty decent prices. You may also find them on Ebay..

1. US Army Uniforms of WW2

2. US Army Uniforms of the Korean War

3. US Army Uniforms of the Vietnam War

4. US Army Uniforms of the Cold War Era

Hope these may help you..

Leigh

"Pain is only Weakness Leaving the Body"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr
US Army (Retired)

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

CNY,

Excellent point. I've seen kids patches sewn to vintage uniforms. And the opposite is true too. You'll see older things sewn to newer clothing. A long time ago I was getting North South Traders Civil War magazine. There was an article about a guy who found a Block I confederate button on a slightly vintage high school band uniform. This was found at a thrift store. After purchasing the band jacket, he pooped the button off and re-donated the jacket.

donation2017.gif
donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I almost always have military items online. Don't hesitate to ask questions.

MY eBay LINK BELOW

EBAY AUCTION LINK

• 2 weeks later...

My rule of thumb for quickly assessing Ike jackets is to see if there is a button on the sleeve cuff or not. If the cuff of the jacket has a button it is most likely WW2 vintage. If there is no button on the cuff (i.e. the cuff is all one piece of fabric), then it is more likely to be post-war. I am sure there are exceptions to this rule, but it is my general rule for "one glance" dating of an Ike jacket.

"God almighty, in a few short hours we will be in battle with the enemy. We do not join battle afraid. We do not ask favors or indulgence but ask that, if You will, use us as Your instrument for the right and an aid in returning peace to the world. We do not know or seek what our fate will be. We ask only this, that if die we must, that we die as men would die, without complaining, without pleading and safe in the feeling that we have done our best for what we believed was right. Oh Lord, protect our loved ones and be near us in the fire ahead and with us now as we pray to you."

All were silent for two minutes as the men were left, each with his individual thoughts. Then the colonel ordered, "Move out."

-Lt. Col. Robert L. Wolverton

Commander, 3rd Battalion, 506 Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division -- On the eve of the D-day Invasion, 5 June 1944