C-47 WWII Factory Paint - production history, and questions

Quest Master

Quest Master
There appears to be a specific application style that I have noted on how the underside gray or grey was painted on the C-47. I am using the following production blocks for each factory as noted examples in period photos:
On the nose of the C-47, a nearly straight line of underside gray or grey is noted for aircraft produced at Douglas Long Beach (DL), California:
C-47A-80-DL (February 1944)
On the nose of the C-47, a very wavy line of underside gray or grey is noted for aircraft produced at Douglas Oklahoma City (DK), Oklahoma:
C-47A-15-DK (March 1944)

Again, this question is specific to the C-47. I am trying to see if an aircraft can be linked to a specific factory by just this detail, because in a one month time period of February to March 1944, at the two separate factories, I have noted a very different painting style, and I believe this can be used to ID a C-47 DL from a C-47 DK if it has a straight painted underside grey or wavy painted underside grey.

Obviously the more period photos you have of period aircraft known to be produced at one plant or the other, the stronger support you have for your supposition. But if you find even one photo of a C-47 that varies (IE: A wavy paint line on a Long Beach plane) it starts to weaken the theory...unless a repaint can be verified after leaving the factory.

Quest Master

Yes, a wavy demarcation line indicates it came from the Oklahoma plant.

That is what I had concluded and was hoping for - specific to a/c delivered in the Feb/March 1944 timeframe. I'm sure you know where I'm going with this research!!!