UNMARKED M1905E1 BAYONET

1963chevy

I recently purchased an unmarked M1905E1 bayonet from eBay. I thought this forum might like to see some photos and the data I have collected.

The overall length of the bayonet is 147/16", the blade is 9 5/8", and the bayonet has a light gray finish.

Apparently this bayonet has been in the Greek military system at one time as it has the number 4974 stamped into the left side of the guard.

The right side of the guard is stamped MHS. I suppose this could be a previous owner's initials.

Both the left ricasso and the right ricasso are unmarked.

The guard is stamped OL on the right side which is normally covered by the grip.

It is really hard to see but I believe the bayonet catch is also stamped OL.

The right grip has the number C5613681 molded into it and the left grip has the number C5613680 molded into it. the diameter of the cutout around the grip screw hole is 18mm.

I can provide more photos if anyone is interested.

Are there any theories out there as to who the manufacturer might be.

post-163450-0-66297800-1488935958_thumb.jpg

post-163450-0-86212900-1488935959_thumb.jpg

post-163450-0-85509600-1488935963_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

1963chevy- Checked out the pics, I would go with "OL". because of the guard marking.. Not sure what to think about no markings on the blade. The second picture looks like it was ground then filled in. Not sure what to think. It's a mystery to me. Unless the blade was broken then welded. SKIP

Skiph,

Neither the left or right side ricasso have any markings. Also neither ricasso looks as if it has been tampered with, nor does the blade look like it was rewelded. The Parkerizing is a light gray with some staining on it. I can provide additional pictures if anyone wants to see more photos. Also, the grip screw cutout is circular, approximately 18 mm in diameter. I thought OL bayonets did not have circular grip screw cutouts. The 4974 stamping on the guard could be Greek Military. The bayonet did come with a Greek scabbard. Don't know what to make of the MHS or SHW (depending on if you hold it blade up or handle up) marking on the right side of the guard.

Since M1905E1s were all originally made from existing M1905, 16" blades, all we can assume is it was produced from an unmarked "OL" bayonet. Just not enough info out there to draw a solid conclusion. As far as the letters "MHS", it's anyone's guess. You own one of those rare unexplained pieces. SKIP