Markings on Flak Helmet

ghengus

Not sure why this helmet is marked this way. Is it a movie prop? Just can't figure out why a US Flak helmet would have these markings. Thanks in advance for the help.

post-7816-0-14800600-1488932993.jpg

There was a discussion about these a while back and the consensus then was that the decals were surplus store add-ons to help move product.

There's a lot of these.... What if aviators/gunners used them to show off their kills like they did on the nose of the plane? Or is that too far-fetched?

Too far fetched, there are maybe a dozen of these marked M3s posted online, and if that were the case each guy got just one downed plane. Additionally, the decal would be marked "Luftwaffe" instead of "Wehrmacht"

Too far fetched, there are maybe a dozen of these marked M3s posted online, and if that were the case each guy got just one downed plane. Additionally, the decal would be marked "Luftwaffe" instead of "Wehrmacht"

Preach!

Based on the photo Larry posted, I would guess that the decal has a good chance of having been made for OPFOR training. Now, how it ended up on a Flak helmet is beyond me but, I can think of at least 50 different scenarios. :)

I have seen dozens of these flak helmets with the applied swastika stickers over the years. My thought is why so many, I have seen them on unissued flaks as well as mint flaks. Mostly M5's if memory serves me. And why the word Wehrmacht underneath????

Larry

I like this OPFOR theory much better than the surplus store owner adding decals theory...much more believable that these were made for military war games because of their odd looking helmet meant to look like bad guy foreign helmet much like adding a wooden comb to us liners to make them look different....mike

The question I have on that theory is why would the Army use a relatively expensive and much needed helmet to play around as OPFOR with? As already depicted, using the standard M1 in war games was the norm.

Maybe they were the early attempts?...maybe a certain base had tons of surplus flak helmets ....i guess we cant totally rule out the surplus store guy either i just personally like the opfor theory better....mike