FAC & TASS Patches - Vietnam

River Patrol

Please show your original FAC (Forward Air Controller) and TASS (Tactical Air Support Squadron) Patches from the Vietnam War.

The 21st Tactical Air Support Squadron (TASS) was activated on 8 May 1965 at Pleiku. The only Medal of Honor bestowed to a Bird Dog FAC went to Captain Hillard Wilbanks, 24 February 1967, who was a member of the 21st TASS.

tass21.jpg

Rustic FACs were part of the 23rd TASS based out of Ubon, Royal Thai Air Base, flying the OV-10s. A silhouette of the OV-10 is seen on this patch.

rustic_fac.jpg

Helix FACs were part of the 20th TASS at the Chu Lai Air Base, I believe, in support of the Americal Division and flying OV-10s.

helix_fac.jpg

vintageproductions
23tass2.JPG23tass1.JPGThis is a 23rd TASS Nite fac that is Thai machine embroidered directly to a party suit, plus a photo of the party suit.

23rd TASS is one I don't have yet. The Nite Nail rocker makes it even more special.

ALO FAC F19 patch -- This one is unknown to me, so if you have information about it, please share. I believe ALO is an acronym for Air Liason Officer (but could also be Aircraft Light Observation). So maybe this was a SVN Officer patch that acted as a Liason to the Army FAC units. I don't know...I'm just guessing. I'm unsure what the F-19 represents but it is also used on the companion patch (small diamond patch). The moto under neath the plane "Mot Minh Khong So" translates to "Alone and Not Afraid", which fits a FAC pilot's mission, flying alone in a single engine prop plane high above the jungles of Vietnam.

alo_fac_f19_big.jpg

Here are a couple...547th TASS and 704th TASS. Both used with that "been there, done that" look to them.

Dave

P.S. I'm always looking to buy or trade for Vietnam War era USAF patches, especially F-105 and F-4 squadrons, but will consider all.

post-341-1171587476.jpg

HI DaveP: I'm not familiar with your TASS patches. Can you tell me alittle something about them? What time period are they from? Where stationed?

Hi Mike: Good to see you here!! You know I like the Mike FACs! Here's mine! Covey Rider stuff is just impossible to find!! Nice patch!

MIKE FACs and Coveys were FAC pilots or Backseaters (2nd man in the small cabin of the prop plane sitting in the tiny back seat) whose missions were to support recon teams (usually SOG teams) far from their bases, relay radio traffic and information concerning the location and status of recon teams. They also coordinated air assets for fire support during extractions of the teams when required.

mike_fac.jpg

Many Covey "back seaters" were former Recon Team members. Their experience with recon enabled them to understand what the team on the ground was up against, which allowed them to effectively direct the team, or air support, in the right direction. John Plaster, Larry White, and Ken Carpenter were a few of the SOG recon men who flew Covey.

We have (had?..he was shot down in May 1966) a close family friend who was with the 23 TASS out of Nakhon Phanom, flying O1s. I don't have any of his things, but I do have a few pieces of FAC/TASS insignia, and am always looking for more. (Original 23 TASS Jiminy Cricket patches seem to be as rare as hen's teeth...I have a modren repro from Jimmie Butler, and VN-made one that I believe is a repro, but if anyone's got a spare one for sale, please let me know.)

FWIW, here's a couple of great web sites dealing with the 23 TASS and the other RTAFB-based units:

http://www.squawk-flash.org/23rd_tass/23rd_tass.htm

http://www.tlc-brotherhood.org/

http://www.tlc-brotherhood.org/patches.html

Steve,

the 704th TASS was at Sembach Air Base, Germany from 1976-1984 flying the OV-10. However, my patch seems older than that, so I'm still searching on prior history to 1976.

The 547th was apparently at Hurlburt Field, FL flying the 0-2 at some point,

still searching for info on it as well.

Dave

P.S. Always looking for Vietnam era USAF patches and "party suits". Buy or Trade...

@BillinVA Many Vietnam patch collectors are also looking for 23rdTASS, but I don't think that they are "as rare as hen's teeth". Actually in the past year, I've seen more of 23rd TASS than any other. When they have unusual rockers attached, like the Nite Nail shown in this thread, it really adds to their rarity.

@DaveP Thanks for the information concerning your patches. I'm not too familiar with groups beyond 1972.

DaveP,

Thanks man....that looks just like my patch, except theirs has Kontum embroidered at the bottom.

Steve

Steve, I've seen a few 23 TASS patches from time to time, but every one that I've seen has been a repro. IMHO, they may not be as rare as hen's teeth, but theyre' certainly as obscure as hen's lips.

Still looking....

• 7 months later...
vintageproductions

Are you sure the Snoopy patch on the left is Thai made? The reason I ask is the lettering and the type of construction screams Vietnamese made. The US flag patch above it is definately Thai hand embroidered.

nguoi tien su

Bob, your reply makes sense!

The construction of the patch is quite different of the others on the suit. The suit itself was made in Thailand but the unit was based in DaNang (this one has the digits starting with 2XX).

The patch must have been made in VN were the unit was stationned, then the pilot decided to have a party suit which was made in Thailand.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge !

NTS

19th_t10.jpg

Steve, here is a picture of your second unknown patch worn in Vietnam. I do not remember where I found it, but the file name says 19th TASS.

ALO FAC F19 patch -- This one is unknown to me, so if you have information about it, please share. I believe ALO is an acronym for Air Liason Officer (but could also be Aircraft Light Observation). So maybe this was a SVN Officer patch that acted as a Liason to the Army FAC units. I don't know...I'm just guessing. I'm unsure what the F-19 represents but it is also used on the companion patch (small diamond patch). The moto under neath the plane "Mot Minh Khong So" translates to "Alone and Not Afraid", which fits a FAC pilot's mission, flying alone in a single engine prop plane high above the jungles of Vietnam.

I believe I have an explanation for the "F-19" designation that you see on this patch.

The 0-1 Bird Dog observation planes were originally designated L-19 when the planes were first purchased by the US Army for the Korean War. According to an entry on Wikipedia "The Defense Department ordered 3,200 L-19s that were built between 1950 and 1959. The planes were used in various utility roles such as artillery spotting, front-line communications, medevac and training. In 1962 the army L-19 was redesignated the O-1 (Observation) Bird Dog and entered its second war in Vietnam."

The website that DaveP provided gives a further explanation with the history of the 505th Tactical Control Group:

"By April 1963, 32 PCS Liaison Officers in Vietnam were assigned to each Corps and Division with regiments covered on an "as needed" basis. The VNAF provided L-19 FAC vehicles at division level until the arrival of the 19th TASS with 22 O-1Fs in July 1963."

The ALO were USAF pilots serving as Air Liason Officers. This unit provided the beginnings of Tactical Air Control during the early stages of US involvement in the War.

Now for the "F-19" designation.... Many of these pilots were fighter jocks. They weren't quite thrilled to be considered anything less than a fighter pilot, so they unoffically renamed their aircraft with the "F-19" designation! This is further borne out by the "Mach .2" speed rating, as opposed to "Mach 2"!

This has always been one of my favorite patches, both for the history and dry sense of humor.

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O-1_Bird_Dog

http://www.squawk-flash.org/505th_tcg/505th_history.htm

• 2 months later...

Hello .... I was currious if you had any pic's of the whole suits for these 2 ... And if there was any idea about what time frame they may have been used ...

RJ

Two different party suit paches. 20th TASS.

The left on is thai made, the right one japanese.

post-1739-1192465056.jpg

NTS