AF Blue duffle bag. What time frame?

RobL

Howdy,

Wondering what was the time period that the AF issued its new Airmen the dark blue duffle bag? (before they went with the OD versions that all the other services issue)

Came across one today - and other than the airmen's name and service number stencils - I didn't find any maker marks etc.

Guessing KW or thereafter?

I know, its a really sexy topic.

Thanks for any guidance.
Rob L.

I had one from a Vet who was in the Air Force 1953 to 1957. I think they went to blue colored gear when the Air Force went independant around 1947. So probably 1947 to the mid late 1950s

• 2 weeks later...
phantomfixer

I have posted pics of a white one dated mid 50s from a USAF airman...would like to see the blue one, if you were able to purchase it...very cool

thanks

Anecdote:

Took the oath in December 1963. At initial issue from Lackland BMT Supply, we all received duffle bags. Of the 70+ ones handed out, I remember very distinctly (for some reason) that only two were blue - both of which were shamelessly coveted by we who did not receive them.

Steindaddie

I saw master sergeants still lugging those dark-blue bags on deployments in the late 70s-early 80s. The dateline discussed above jives with the fact these blue baggers had all joined in the late 50s and early 60s.

phantomfixer

There is one on the bay...and a few sold in recent history,,not that common...I liked the yellow stencil on the thread posted above....