The Big Red One (1980)

ParanormalTrooper

ParanormalTrooper

Ive seen this one a bunch, the directors cut is far better than the original imo.

The monly MAJOR thing wrong with it is the fact that they have swivel bail M1s in 1942, lol.

What are your thoughts?

There are a lot worse movies / Tv shows helmet wise. Hacksaw ridge was horrible, you could see the clone liners and the bad straps all over the place, including the main character. There was a special on the history channel about Surviving D-Day a few years back, every helmet had clip on straps. And I recently saw a Mystery at the Museum show talking about an artifact from a marine in WWII and when they did the reenactments they had crapy plastic helmets on that weren't even based off of the M1.

Notice the green liner, bad leather chinstrap and bad straps. Even the bails on the shell look positioned weird.

post-22057-0-78996900-1488828671_thumb.jpg

Considering director Samuel Fuller was In The 1st ID and served from beginning to end, it would be tough to argue that he didn't know the material. It is in many ways a collection of his wartime experiences woven together.

Three invasions, a silver star on Omaha Beach and surviving til the end to take some incredible film of a concentration camp he helped to liberate so as to preserve the truth. Yeah I think he has credibility

As for technical accuracy, he didn't have the budget Spielberg had. The project was a labor of love that he had to make in many ways for himself to tell his story. Obviously the cigar smoking writer is based on him.

Image of Fuller taken by Robert Capa enroute to Omaha. Silver Star citation from June 6th.

post-68384-0-56976600-1488842227.jpg

post-68384-0-94232700-1488842237.jpg

Fuller's autobiography. " A Third Face: My Tale of Writing, Fighting, and Filmmaking" is a very worthy read to get the background on the experience the shaped the film.

Fuller's video of Fulkenau, the concentration camp they liberated and the basis for the shootout in the movie

the web chin straps on the helmets were also all wrong, never saw straps like that before? they looked like old pack straps used to make chin straps.

post-1885-0-97941100-1488863695.jpg

post-1885-0-82583500-1488863707.jpg

Considering director Samuel Fuller was In The 1st ID and served from beginning to end, it would be tough to argue that he didn't know the material. It is in many ways a collection of his wartime experiences woven together.

Very interesting information. I never knew the director was in the 1st ID. Thanks so much for posting this info.

....Kat

Fuller's autobiography. " A Third Face: My Tale of Writing, Fighting, and Filmmaking" is a very worthy read to get the background on the experience the shaped the film.

Fuller's video of Fulkenau, the concentration camp they liberated and the basis for the shootout in the movie

Sounds like a great book. I will have to check it out.

If you click on that youtube video link of his film at the camp there are a few more links of interest showing him going back to the actual site and telling of his experience there with the BRO and filming the camp scenes, very interesting and well worth watching, looks like it was filmed in the 1980s.....mike

Suggest folks watch Fullers first war movie "The Steel Helmet" made in 1951, the first Korean War film. It was the film that really started Fullers career in film making. He did a number of war films. Big Red One was really to tell his wartime story

Just to add to the Sam Fuller story. A couple of images of him from his wartime days. Doubt anyone would suggest he wasn't wearing the right type helmet in the first photo :) Taken in Sicily. Fuller on the right of the image with the cigar. The cigar smoking character in the Big Red One was based on Fuller.

Second photo was taken in the bocage in Normandy in front of a knocked out German assault gun.

post-68384-0-01472200-1489296248_thumb.jpg

post-68384-0-53578100-1489296266_thumb.jpg