WWII L-5 Sentinel With Nose Art

Wailuna

Although well known during WWII for its service as a Field Artillery spotter in North Africa, Italy, and ETO, here is an L-5 used in SW Pacific as rescue spotter in one of the USAAF squadrons that flew the OA-10A Catalina to pick-up downed aircrews:

post-1963-1223839117.jpg

Middleburg Island, off the coast of New Guinea, 1944.

How do you like this one, Gregory?

Johnny Signor

your emblem/nose art is for the 2nd Emergency Rescue squadron and they were called the "Snafu Snatchers" i have a photo of thier actual emblem,nice era photo, yes they used OA-10 USAAF designation for usn PBY catalina aircraft.

Charlie Flick

Neat photo, Wailuna. It is interesting that this fellow, presumably the L-5 pilot, is using a pistol belt and M1916 holster to carry his .45 rather than a shoulder holster.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Great photo, Wailuna ! I especially like the hard-boiled looking pilot with his "been there, done that" expression. thumbsup.gif

-Will

Neat photo, Wailuna. It is interesting that this fellow, presumably the L-5 pilot, is using a pistol belt and M1916 holster to carry his .45 rather than a shoulder holster.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Charlie.I met a Marine pilot who flew off Guadalcanal and he had his original Colt 1911A1 issued to him in 1941.It was in a M1916 holster,webb belt and a two mag ammo pouch.Sad thing is I had it bought and when I got to the house he decided to give it to his nephew.The nephew had already taken all the commercial guns,his Japanese sword and flag.I guess he talked to the nephew before I got there.I just couldnt figure out why he didnt want the other items he had and all went out on a garage sale.I did get some goggles,flight caps.mae- west,and canvas bag.He was going to send me his photo album after he moved but I never saw it.I figure the nephew was taking the things he felt had value and could sell.

RON

your emblem/nose art is for the 2nd Emergency Rescue squadron and they were called the "Snafu Snatchers" i have a photo of thier actual emblem,nice era photo, yes they used OA-10 USAAF designation for usn PBY catalina aircraft.

Interesting choice of words on the nose art. Any clue what it might have meant? Probably to get someone out of a chaotic or confusing situation?

We had an older gentleman in our community who was retired Air Force. He used to use the word "SNAFU" all the time. He said it was an Air Force/ Military acronym that stood for:

Situation Normal-- All F#@&ed Up.

Nick

Oops! Sloppy caption. The soldier is identified as a PFC. He might have been the pilot but the source doesn't say so (link here). He could be a Liaison Pilot down on his luck (they were usually sergeants) or he might have flown as an unrated observer or he might be crew chief for the plane or he simply might be a member of the unit who wanted a souvenir picture with "SNAFU Snatcher" ~~ anyone else's WAG is welcome. The aircraft on the ramp in the distance (between the PFC and the L-5) is identified as a UC-64A Norseman, a useful small-bore trash-hauler that also saw service in all Theaters of Operation (link here).

Nick's translation of "SNAFU" is correct. The "SNAFU Snatcher" motto may be interpreted as follows: "SNAFU" = the rescuee; "Snatcher" = the rescuer.

Wailuna -- what a cool photo! I love L-5 so much that I bought its model but have no time to assembly it. I love all WWII era L-Birds. I live close to airfield where somebody has beautifully restored L-4 in the US ETO painting scheme. Other Polish-owned L-4 with US ETO painting scheme and invasion stripes was destroyed some time ago by young idiot (as always) during his napp-of-the-Earth "show" over his home. He took his father's plane and wanted to give "performance".

Hope ya'll don't mind if I slip this in here...

This L-5, serial number 42-98780, was named 'Lil-Les' and served with the 28th TCS, 60th TCG in the MTO.

'Lil-Les' made a forced landing due to engine failure (or fire) on April 1st, 1945 in Sterperone, Italy, near Foggia... the pilot was a Ralph H. Warner. According to the info written on the reverse of the print, this photo was taken in either Italy or Corsica.

L-542-98780Lil-Les001a.jpg

Project 914 Archives (S.Donacik collection)

Fade to Black...