Unknown Airborne Oval

Rakkasan187

Rakkasan187

Looked through several topics but I could not narrow down an ID to this specific oval.

Dark blue center and a lighter blue outer ring. cheesecloth backing..

Leigh

post-5554-0-98019200-1488823017.jpg

What little reference I have on these 1950s to 1960s era ovals was that they were worn by unassigned airborne qualified troopers. I really don't know what that means as you see airborne qualified solders wearing paratrooper wings minus ovals all of the time on their uniforms so I wonder if the wearing of these ovals was an option for infantry only airborne qualified soldiers that were not part of a specific airborne unit?

Rakkasan187

What little reference I have on these 1950s to 1960s era ovals was that they were worn by unassigned airborne qualified troopers. I really don't know what that means as you see airborne qualified solders wearing paratrooper wings minus ovals all of the time on their uniforms so I wonder if the wearing of these ovals was an option for infantry only airborne qualified soldiers that were not part of a specific airborne unit?

Great information..

Thanks..

Leigh

The "Great Mystery Oval"as it is sometimes called. Of all my reference material that I have on this item the best and most detailed description / background is that in the Keller Brothers book Emblems of Honor.

Rakkasan187

The "Great Mystery Oval"as it is sometimes called. Of all my reference material that I have on this item the best and most detailed description / background is that in the Keller Brothers book Emblems of Honor.

Thanks again for the information..

I have not had the chance to look in my Keller books yet so I look forward to reading up on this oval..

Really appreciate the additional reference information...

Leigh