Colonel Peter Thomas Conachy USMC

tomconstantine

tomconstantine

My son in law contacted me a few days ago and advised that he believes that his great uncle is Colonel Peter Thomas Conachy USMC. What makes this unusual is that my son in law is an immigrant from the Republic of Ireland, County Louth, as was Colonel Conachy . It seems that Colonel Conachy had an astounding career fighting at Belleau Wood, the Banana Wars in Central America, Haiti, China, and later was recalled to duty to be the commanding officer of RTR PI at the end of WWII. He has such an incredible history, but my search has revealed little of Colonel Conachy's odyssey from Ireland to commanding a company of Marines at Belleau Wood. He left home at age 14 and at some point joined the Marine Corps and was commissioned. It sounds impossible, but its fact. Does anyone have any historical background on Peter T Conachy USMC, enlisted or commissioned?

post-166511-0-63557000-1488774431.jpg

shrapneldude

Found this on Ancestry. I've just begun researching a few Irish immigrants who served in World War I as well. Looks like he enlisted in 1904, made his way up the ranks, as a First Sergeant in 1912, Sergeant Major in 1917, then "Gunner," and commissioned while he was with the 5th Marine Regiment.

post-1424-0-52838800-1488785396.jpg

shrapneldude

post-1424-0-62097900-1488787085_thumb.jpg

post-1424-0-18880000-1488787097_thumb.jpg

I know this doesn't help with his pre-enlistment years, but he is listed as having been born in Ireland in the register of Navy and Marine officers, and his Irish birthplace and some more biographical data is listed on the passenger lists for him returning from Haiti -- he became an American August 16, 1916.

shrapneldude

post-1424-0-96229200-1488789927_thumb.jpg

Same birthday - April 12th as listed in the book - so if this is him he was a British Sailor in his early 20s prior to coming to the U.S.

tomconstantine

Gents--- Just to advise---I'm a retired Marine, MGYSGT 66-94 active and reserve. I've done some genealogy-- I'm stunned at where you found these military document. Fold 3? By way of background, my son in law is an Irish immigrant---born raised in Dundalk, Louth. Dundalk is on NE corner and abuts N Ireland. Son in law emigrated to USA 12 years ago--- outstanding man and a US citizen. How this all started was that he was speaking with his dad about family and in Ireland this can be difficult because the immense size of families and the Irish "Diaspora"/ Famine/mass migration. It is known that Peter Conachy left home at age 14 and enlisted in the RN. He had an extensive enlistment period---10 years? When he enlisted his position in RN --official title was "Boy". When he left service, prior to his end of enlistment, and under what circumstances is "murky". When and where he enlisted in the US Marine Corps is unknown (to me). As a NFG (New F'n Guy) I don't know what the drill is. Is it appropriate to ask sourcing of documents so that I can gather the information for myself? I have done multiple genealogies and recognize the possible pitfalls in "official documents" r/t dates of birth, actual parents, residences, marital status etc. I've learned to recognize intentional disinformation that some people have used throughout their lives to conceal their past, which in reality makes them far more interesting people. I have the intention of doing a thorough investigation of Peter Thomas Conachy as he is really a remarkable person and his record of service with the Royal Navy makes it even more so. *** HMS Illustrious was a Majestic class Dreadnought---pretty impressive*** Does anyone have information on exactly when and where PT Conachy entered service w/ USMC? Is it possible to obtain a copy/ visually inspect an archived SRB/OQR? Many thanks and Semper Fi Tom Constantine VMO-6 68-69.

tomconstantine

Aboard what Royal Navy ship--date? Pretty amazing that RN did a log of ship's company on a daily basis-- but they were meticulous with records. PT Conachy was 19 YOA. He entered service abt age 14 so he already had 5 years of service. He did in fact--have to go back and look--- serve aboard a warship that spent some time in Australia.

attachicon.gifConachy3.jpg

This is from 1901. Pretty sure it's the same man, but I'm less familiar with British records.

tomconstantine

Interesting that by the time of WWI PT Conachy entered service with USMC-- a lad of such humble origin, went through multiple enlisted grades and was commissioned. He was age 36 on or about Belleau Wood. I have personal knowledge/acquaintance with two Marines almost identical circumstance---one retire as a Maj--the other as a Capt. It's what makes the Marine Corps such a remarkable organization!

His service records would be easily obtainable at NPRC if you would like shoot me a message on here and I'll be happy to take you through the process. It's pretty simple just requires a few weeks waiting.

Semper Fi

Irish Marines! Great topic. As a first generation Irish-American Marine myself. I have always had an interest in those men from the Emerald Isle who served our Corps. There were many and now I learn that Peter Conachy was one! Never knew that though I knew of his brilliant service with the 4th Brigade in France. I am aware of another 4th Brigade Irish Marine leader who died at Belleau Wood. He was Captain John Blanchfield, late of County Tipperary, Ireland and the birthplace of my parents. He was born in Ireland in 1880 and enlisted in the Marines in 1903 at Buffalo, NY. He had extensive service prior to WWI At the start of the war he was a First Sgt and was appointed Marine Gunner on 6 June 1917 attached to the 55th Company. Promoted to 1st Lt on 5 July 1917 in France and Captain on 17 December 1917. He assumed command of the 55th Co after Captain Methof Butler was promoted to Major and transferred. His exec was a future Commandant of the Marine Corps, Lemuel Shepherd.

On June 3rd as the Germans made their assault in the vicinity of Les Meres farm , Blanchfield is reported by Pvt. Paul Bonner to have yelled out to his company. " The devils are coming on", he shouted. You've been waiting for them for a year; now go get them." He was shouting in his Irish brogue and his blood was up. He thrilled everyone of us." (Quoted From "Devil Dogs" by the late & great historian, George B. Clark)

He was at the head of his 55th Company 3/5 when he was mortally wounded on the Lucy-Torcy Road on June 7th. He was subsequently awarded a posthumous Distinguished Service Cross and a Navy Cross. His citation reads, "He demonstrated exceptional ability in organizing his line at Chateau-Thierry, France June 6, 1918, and showed heroic leadership in holding it under violent attack. His company successfully repelled two assaults by superior forces in the second of which he was mortally wounded."

Following the end of the war his body was exhumed from his grave at Meux and was transported to Ireland. He is buried "somewhere" in Tipperary and I have tried without success to locate his exact final resting place.

BTW - I too have a son-in-law from Dublin and and am a retired Regular/Reserve Marine having served from 1956 to 1986 (E-1 to 0-4 - 3531-3516-0302).

Always looking for USMC medals to Irish-born Marines.

Look forward to learning more about Peter Conachy. Semper Fi ! ......Bobgee

shrapneldude

Irish Marines! Great topic. As a first generation Irish-American Marine myself. I have always had an interest in those men from the Emerald Isle who served our Corps. There were many and now I learn that Peter Conachy was one! Never knew that though I knew of his brilliant service with the 4th Brigade in France. I am aware of another 4th Brigade Irish Marine leader who died at Belleau Wood. He was Captain John Blanchfield, late of County Tipperary, Ireland and the birthplace of my parents.

Following the end of the war his body was exhumed from his grave at Meux and was transported to Ireland. He is buried "somewhere" in Tipperary and I have tried without success to locate his exact final resting place.

Look forward to learning more about Peter Conachy. Semper Fi ! ......Bobgee

post-1424-0-78839200-1488847329_thumb.jpg

Bob -- looks like Blanchfield was reburied in Mullinahone Cemetery. I looked it up but couldn't find any photos or registers of burials.

Master Guns -- you'll get plenty of information on Col. Conachy if you get a copy of his records from NPRC. From just doing a quick search on Ancestry (which I think now includes Fold3 Military records) there's a LOT of information on his career and service there.

The British ship (I had to cut off the bottom to make it fit) was the HMS Assistance, a "repair ship purchased in 1900."

Hey Dude! You're remarkable! I knew he was from Killanaule and contacted some Irish historians in the area but they came up with zilch. Knowing the same of the cemetery should make finding his grave a no-brainer. I may be going to Tipperary next month and if so a jaunt down to that area will be on my list! THANKS! And Semper Fi.....Bob