The Sands of Iwo Jima

patches

As I said, there is no question regarding his acting abilities and his contributions on the home front. The question is whether his staying home was his decision or the studios decision. There has been discussion regarding both sides of the equation.

In the past 10 years or so, the reading of books, newspapers, and magazines has greatly declined. People are reading their news on the internet so that is of course where the information is currently going to be located.

There is some great information on the internet and some very shady information on the internet. Always check to see the source of the information. Since you brought up books written about John Wayne, the following was found on the internet referenced from books. Did he try to enlist but kept postponing? While I am sure his failure to serve may have been a painful part of his life, was the regret years later when looking back on his life or during the war?

We may never know the exact truth. IMO, famous people like Ted Williams who served in two wars are the ones who deserve our respect and accolades.

The following is from the book: John Wayne: American. by Roberts, Randy; Olson, James S. (1995).

He repeatedly wrote to John Ford saying he wanted to enlist, on one occasion inquiring whether he could get into Ford's military unit, but consistently kept postponing it until after "he finished just one or two pictures"

Wayne did not attempt to prevent his reclassification as 1-A (draft eligible), but Republic Studios was emphatically resistant to losing him. Herbert J Yates, President of Republic, threatened Wayne with a lawsuit if he walked away from his contract, and Republic Pictures intervened in the Selective Service process, requesting Wayne's further deferment. By many accounts, his failure to serve in the military was the most painful part of his life.

This is from the book: John Wayne, by Wayne, Pilar

His widow later suggested that his patriotism in later decades sprang from guilt, writing: "He would become a 'superpatriot' for the rest of his life trying to atone for staying home.

Always thought it ironic that skinny Academy Award winning actor Jimmy Stewart was the one flying combat in a B-24 over Europe during a time when life expectancy was short, yet folks see the Duke as the one representing patriotism. Don't get me wrong, I love the Duke, but Stewart found a way to serve when he was also one who could have found a way not too.

BILL THE PATCH

Being under contract in those days were perilous to the actor if he tried to break it, the movie moguls , such as Warner, , Selznick, etc come down hard on you. Probably black balled as well. Stewart, Taylor, arness, and many more served in combat, with honor. Abbott and Costello didn't serve but sold millions in war bonds as did Wayne. Which was just as important to win the war as did anyone else. I hate the bum rap given to John Wayne.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Being under contract in those days were perilous to the actor if he tried to break it, the movie moguls , such as Warner, , Selznick, etc come down hard on you. Probably black balled as well. Stewart, Taylor, arness, and many more served in combat, with honor. Abbott and Costello didn't serve but sold millions in war bonds as did Wayne. Which was just as important to win the war as did anyone else. I hate the bum rap given to John Wayne.

So the Duke selling bonds was as important as Stewart leading missions over Germany? Similar risk and all that? That's a bit like our current president claiming his sexual conquests was similar to the combat in Vietnam he avoided.

Again, I'm not bashing the Duke. He just isn't a hero to my like Stewart is for not using the Hollywood system to avoid service. You know without a doubt an Oscar winner like Stewart could have but didn't.

BILL THE PATCH

Don't take my statement out context , I'm just saying everyone did there part in some way. Some more then other's. And what does the current president have do with it. Must be a liberal. Insert smily face

Garandomatic

I'm not disagreeing with you about that, Stewart is a Heck of a man, and for his deeds more so. He didn't just fly milk runs, either, far as i know. I think the other fellow is referencing the popular Wayne-bashing that we have today more than actually leveling him with combat vets, but I could be wrong.

I'm with you Billy. But Hey lets talk about the movie, don't want to get this topic I started Locked :lol:.

So lets see......

Ah, why didn't any of these guys ever get promoted? Think Bass would made Corp at least, Striker... Platoon Sargent.

So, just adding another friendly perspective. If John Wayne would have served in a stateside job, would that have been good enough; or, would he have had to get shot at? And what if he had been in combat, and - God forbid - had gotten killed? Would his service then have been more helpful or harmful to the war effort? I take no issue with a star leveraging their popularity to raise cash for the war, versus going to fight in it. That was likely the bigger contribution, inasmuch as I think comparing one person's way of serving to another's is pointless. I have a friend that went to enlist, but was deferred due to how many acres he farmed. Seems the government thought his ability to create a lot of food was the better contribution in his case.

So, just adding another friendly perspective. If John Wayne would have served in a stateside job, would that have been good enough; or, would he have had to get shot at? And what if he had been in combat, and - God forbid - had gotten killed? Would his service then have been more helpful or harmful to the war effort? I take no issue with a star leveraging their popularity to raise cash for the war, versus going to fight in it. That was likely the bigger contribution, inasmuch as I think comparing one person's way of serving to another's is pointless. I have a friend that went to enlist, but was deferred due to how many acres he farmed. Seems the government thought his ability to create a lot of food was the better contribution in his case.

So if you play that argument through, then Stewart was being selfish by flying combat, in not thinking of how he could leverage his star power to help at home? Seems a bit of a stretch.

BILL THE PATCH

Patches started this about the movie, so talk about the movie. why don't you move on and stop being the libtard that you are.and talk about the movie not how much you dislike Wayne or his deferred treatment. There I said it, I'll take the heat for saying it too. I'm sure others would to tell you the same.

John did his bit just at home front

Whats the problem.

Don't be HIPPYS.

owen

I agree, plus John Wayne's wartime movies actually helped with recruitment, lots of young men that joined the military wanted to be GUNG HO just like he portrayed himself in the movies, he was almost like a role model, Ive heard stories they actually use to show John Wayne movies to Marine recruits to give them the mind set / fighting spirit to be a Marine.

he may have not served in combat, but he did plenty to help the war effort.

Respectfully, that's a stretch you made. I was specific in saying comparing one person's service to another's is pointless; and, merely posed the question on help versus hinder.

To pretend that any of us knew the circumstances surrounding any of these decisions is the real "stretch". My point was simply to keep the dignity of the deceased from being undermined on baseless grounds.

In summary, "Sands of Iwo Jima" is an awesome movie.

So if you play that argument through, then Stewart was being selfish by flying combat, in not thinking of how he could leverage his star power to help at home? Seems a bit of a stretch.

Patches started this about the movie, so talk about the movie. why don't you move on and stop being the libtard that you are.and talk about the movie not how much you dislike Wayne or his deferred treatment. There I said it, I'll take the heat for saying it too. I'm sure others would to tell you the same.

Oh help, not the libtard cry. If you note my first reply, I said I am a fan of the Duke. So please before you get too carried away, make sure you know of which you speak. In reference to the film I said there were parts that were cringe worthy, but overall it's enjoyable. I don't consider it a great film. I thought his role in "They were Expendable" was much better. His John Ford Westerns are also far better films.

Funny that I get bashed for thinking Jimmy Stewart was the real war hero of actors. Yep libtard without a doubt.

Yep libtard without a doubt.

Frankly 38Driver, you pretty much loose you credibility when you start putting labels on the other collectors in the discussion.

Steve

Frankly 38Driver, you pretty much loose you credibility when you start putting labels on the other collectors in the discussion.

Steve

I was referring to the label Bill the Patch gave me :)

Apparently I'm the Libtard

BILL THE PATCH

Like I said everyone did there part in the war, from children collecting scrap metal, from housewives saving bacon fat for gunpowder,, to old men and women starting victory gardens, to little old ladies knitting gloves and sweaters for soldiers. Each played a vital part to win the war, some in harm's way some not. Patches started this thread to discuss the MOVIE not John Wayne's deferred treatment. So I'll go back to just discussing the MOVIE, not hijack someone's post. Sorry patches, never apologize it's a sign of weakness. From John Wayne in she wore a yellow ribbon. Insert another smiley face

Even though very few of his WWII movies were made during WWII, there is no question that John Wayne did his part on the home front. There is also no question that he was a great actor who is loved by many. However, it is ironic that the celebrity who actually served in the war more closely resembles the typical WWII soldier yet the celebrity who never served in the war is the one revered by so many. The average WWII soldier was just an average citizen who quietly went off to war and served without any fanfare or bravado.

As for this movie, it certainly is a long time favorite movie of mine. Even though it was filmed four years after WWII, you can definitely tell that it was made as a propaganda movie. Since it was used as a recruiting tool after WWII is a testament to this fact. The ending certainly does stir up emotions but I thought the ending to Saving Private Ryan was more realistic.

Hey that reminds me, I recently got the Wings of Eagles DVD, you know where he plays Frank W. "Spig" Wead.

Going to watch it soon.

BILL THE PATCH

Here we go again, did Maureen O'Hara play the wife?, Last week I watched big Jake she in that to as well MClintock