The Sands of Iwo Jima

patches

Hey, going to watch it tonight, got it in the mail yesterday off Amazon, DVD, not to expensive, seems copies of The Sands of Iwo Jima were way expensive a couple of years ago when I looked to buy it, new and used copies. I look forward to watching it, haven't seen it in over 25 years :D.

Just watched it on Amazon a couple nights ago. Some cringe worthy moments but overall an enjoyable film.

BILL THE PATCH

Man we all think alike, I've been laid up with pneumonia for a couple of weeks, and watched it on Amazon the other day, " All right Saddle Up, Let's get back in the War" great movie

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Garandomatic

For sure. Buddy of mine is a bit younger, 23 or so, but he's more or less 50 mentally, lamenting people his age via text while drinking at a bar. I prescribed him Rio bravo and el dorado. Fix what ails you.

BILL THE PATCH

Thanks, im almost there. I've watched so many John Wayne movies this past week. I like to think it helped me get through this illness. Feel good movies.

Garandomatic

I watched the first part of the last season of hell on wheels and wore out netflix's wwii stuff... Got burned out on Nazi this and that. Not advisable when you're half delirious from fever!

Apart from the major discrepancy of these guys being in the 2nd Marine Division (it was the 2nd Mar Div at Tarawa, 2nd Mar Div then fights on Okinawa), it's a well made movie, the Tarawa and Iwo beach scenes are very realistic in appearance, just compare stills from the movie with the real battlefields and you'll see what we mean..

USA.mil.history

In 1948-49 President Truman and others proposed have the US Marines become part of the US Army. It seems Truman an old US Army artilleryman held a certain distain for Marines due to the publicity they received in France in WW I. There were senate hearings about litterally ending the US Marines existence. Republic pictures was a pretty small studio compared to the big ones like Fox and Warner Brothers and had little budget for this film, but... The Commandant of the Marines saw a great PR opportunity when he saw it and made just about every resource he could available to Republic Studios, that is why the film has a big budget look. Hell, half of Camp Pendleton is probalable in that movie in one scene or another. That is the REAL Surabachi flag and Hays, Gagnon and Bradley in the dcene where the flag is hand off to be raised.

The movie is released and turns out to be one of the top grossing films of 1949, Wayne is nominated for an Award Academy and US Marine elistments quadruple, especially the US Marine Corps reserve. Public support for the US Marines is never higher and efforts to disband the Marines are permanently squelched. Damn good thing too, because less than one year later, US Marines are some of the first in to defend the Pusan Perimeter in South Korea, those college boys reservist are called up ( most only half trained, BTW) landed at Inchon and became the heros of the Chosin Reservoir.

A poll was taken in the mid 1980s as to why enlisties had chosen the Marines as their service of choice. Even as late as then, over forty percent said something to the effect of "Well you see, as a kid, I saw this movie called "The Sands of Iwo Jima..."

"ALL RIGHT, SADDLE UP....LET'S GET BACK IN THE WAR !" .....

had a freinds brother Oscar Benkent lived in Woodside NY was in the movie story is the tank comet 48 was his tank and Oscar went tp Korea,

Frozen Chosin as the Story goes his brother had a usmc photo album with home stills from the set of John Wayne and Forest Tucker

doing Judo with the marine Extras. filmed at Santa Catilina Ca.,

Charlie Flick

"Sands" is easily one of the top 5 WW2 war movies ever made, in my opinion. Never get tired of watching it.

As I recall the three surviving "flag raisers" all appeared in the movie which is pretty remarkable.

Here is you know who with John Bradley on the set.

John Wayne and John Bradley - Sands of Iwo Jima.gif

Regards,

Charlie

For sure. Buddy of mine is a bit younger, 23 or so, but he's more or less 50 mentally, lamenting people his age via text while drinking at a bar. I prescribed him Rio bravo and el dorado. Fix what ails you.

Rio Bravo is another guilty pleasure movie. I have a couple movies downloaded on the Ipad for those times where there is no WiFi. Rio Bravo is one of them :)

Have started this movie ("Sands...") a few times, but based on this forum topic, actually finished it this weekend. I guess for character development the slow start is necessary, but that's the part that I struggle with in most movies. I liked that the action scenes included sections of real period footage. Definitely worth watching.

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer these older movies much better than any modern remake of today

the actors from the 40's were a different breed, they had more character, there is just no comparison of these old Hollywood legends with todays actors.

one reason I stopped going to the movies, I have my own collection of my favorite classics.

The movie is released and turns out to be one of the top grossing films of 1949, Wayne is nominated for an Award Academy and US Marine elistments quadruple, especially the US Marine Corps reserve. Public support for the US Marines is never higher and efforts to disband the Marines are permanently squelched.

"ALL RIGHT, SADDLE UP....LET'S GET BACK IN THE WAR !" .....

While this movie is a great movie, I find this rather ironic considering John Wayne used his deferment twice during WWII in order to avoid serving in the military. Many movie/TV/sports personalities served with distinction and honor during the war. John Wayne never wore a uniform in the service and preferred to star in movies about war rather than serve.

BILL THE PATCH

There is documented proof the John Wayne new Carlson, from Carlson's raiders, he somehow new about the famouse raid and asked he he could go. He almost said yes until he thought what if I get him killed. I forget where I read this. But it really happened from what I've read. I wish someone could find it. Maybe he was deferred twice, I think he raised enough in war bonds to help war effort, not to mention going to hospitals to talk to the wounded. Lots of actors got deferred treatment.

There is documented proof the John Wayne new Carlson, from Carlson's raiders, he somehow new about the famouse raid and asked he he could go. He almost said yes until he thought what if I get him killed. I forget where I read this. But it really happened from what I've read. I wish someone could find it. Maybe he was deferred twice, I think he raised enough in war bonds to help war effort, not to mention going to hospitals to talk to the wounded. Lots of actors got deferred treatment.

I have never heard this about Carlson’s Raiders and have never seen proof. However, there is proof that he used his deferment.

While I completely agree that other famous actors/actresses did a lot of work on the home front, he is the only one who repeatedly starred in several war movies AFTER using his deferment. He definitely was a great actor who starred in several movies. There is no question about his acting abilities but IMO, there is a difference between portraying a “war hero” in several movies and using your deferment twice to avoid serving. Others will definitely feel differently.

vintageproductions

Maybe some more research should be done before the above comments are made.

There are numerous examples of where John Wayne tried to enlist, but was told by the studio execs he was more valuable to the home front. He also had numerous directors that kept pulling strings so that he could not join.

The only director who didn't pull strings for him was John Ford, and John Ford went to war as a director. This was something that bothered Wayne that his hero went to war and he didn't, until Ford, years later, told him him that what he did was just as important as of job as Ford himself did.

The above is easily found in numerous books about Wayne and his own bio's, but the internet is where it only says he dodged going to war.

BILL THE PATCH

Are you sure he's the only one? And for the Evan Carlson story, it was either John Ford bio, Evan Carlson bio, or a John Wayne bio, man I wish someone could find it.